Toss the Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mgent

Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
Morning everybody, new to the forum but have utilized advice on here many times in the past few years. I have a specific question regarding internal temp safe zone for the 16lb brisket I’m smoking right now. I started the brisket on the smoker at 5pm. Got it up to 155 within the 4 hr time window but at about 2:30am with the IT still reading 155 I basically passed out in my recliner and did not wake back up until 5:30 am. When I woke back up the IT read 130 and it took me about an hour / hour and a half to get it back up over 140. After dog cussing myself I wondered if this brisket is salvageable or if I should chuck it and count my losses. Thank y’all

I think that all you've done is added cook time. Remember, beef, not necessarily brisket, is often eaten rare which is around 120℉. So from a safety aspect, I think that you're fine....

Reactions: mgent
Welcome to SMF from Iowa! These guys have you covered, just remember to post up pics!

Ryan

Yup...keep on cooking....let it ride, you are fine. And welcome to SMF! Come on in, water is fine....we don't bite! LOL! (Though a few of us have known to be cranky every now and then...LOL!)

Seriously, it's a great site to learn just about everything on meats.

Yup...keep on cooking....let it ride, you are fine. And welcome to SMF! Come on in, water is fine....we don't bite! LOL! (Though a few of us have known to be cranky every now and then...LOL!)

Seriously, it's a great site to learn just about everything on meats.

thanks for the responses, it’s great to finally be an active member of SMF! So glad y’all confirmed that I’m all good with the brisket. It would’ve about ruined half my day to throw that sucker away. Brisket has reached temp, is wrapped and resting in a cooler. I’m gonna go pass back out now, haha 💤

Happy with the results! Thanks again for the advice

Attachments

• 1A34144E-ECB3-41BC-916A-44085CB8A9FA.jpeg
    1A34144E-ECB3-41BC-916A-44085CB8A9FA.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 89FDF45E-7362-4B2B-8398-E3598DF0BA52.jpeg
    89FDF45E-7362-4B2B-8398-E3598DF0BA52.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 20
  • EABD5564-06C0-4A7E-967C-8790C0C4052B.jpeg
    EABD5564-06C0-4A7E-967C-8790C0C4052B.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 18
Looks darn good from here. Welcome from Ga. You've already found out this is the best place to be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky