Took a stroll this afternoon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Decided to take a little walk behind the house this afternoon. Reasons A. Look for turkey sign. B. Look for mushrooms. C. Look for sheds. D. I'm fat and out of shape and need some exercise...
Took the .17 with just in case I saw a ground hog while cutting through the fields. Whenever I've done this in the past, I usually leave the gun at the point I enter and leave the woods and grab it on my way out. However today I felt it was a good idea to keep it with me and I'm glad I did! I was moving fairly slow keeping my eye out for morels and sheds(and because I'm fat) and when I was about 100 yards from the entry point and saw a coyote. I got a little closer and did a double check to be 100% sure it didn't have a collar and then took the shot. It did 3 small yips while it tumbled over and then I couldn't see or hear it. I racked another round and closed the 40 yards to it. where I found it about 8 feet from where I hit it.
I'm not a fan of killing just to kill, but they have been a problem for us in the area and I'm sure they are eating fawns and I know they are destroying the local turkey numbers!
20240422_132710.jpg

Nice shootin, they are a big problem in Colorado. We always shoot them. Used to be if you saw one out in another ranchers field, you just shot it. And 10/10 the rancher would thank you and say come back anytime you want. Them dogs take a lot of calves around here.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Yeah, pretty much open season on our hunting land. We’re trying to build our deer herd and turkey flock up. Figure one dead ‘yote saves quite a few fawns and chicks.

Jim

Nice shootin, they are a big problem in Colorado. We always shoot them. Used to be if you saw one out in another ranchers field, you just shot it. And 10/10 the rancher would thank you and say come back anytime you want. Them dogs take a lot of calves around here.
I hear ya! No one complains about shooting groundhogs or yotes when the chance is given!

Reactions: JLinza
Yeah, pretty much open season on our hunting land. We’re trying to build our deer herd and turkey flock up. Figure one dead ‘yote saves quite a few fawns and chicks.

Jim
Every little bit helps, or so I hope it does!

Reactions: JLeonard
No doubt about the fawns . Now this is Missouri info , but I was going to Missouri Conservation classes on deer herd management . They said Coyotes are responsible for 3 fawn deaths a year .
I believe it! Probably more in some areas!

I also don't like to kil just to kill and prefer to eat what I kill. But yote's are a different matter. I figure if the State (Missouri ) has a 11 1/2 month season with no limits, there's a reason. TOO damn many. They now into the target of opportunity category for me.

SC is open for coyotes almost all year. Plus DNR traps, tags/collars and releases a few hundred every year. Bag one and you win a lifetime hunting license.

The only good coyote is a dead one. They will get some fawns but they will wipe out populations of quail and turkeys if not controlled the more control/killing them the better. A pack of them can eat a whole lot of quail and turkey eggs

They are a problem everywhere. In addition to coyotes, we have a big feral hog problem. Here in SC coyotes, feral hogs, and armadillos can be hunted even at night all year long...

We lost one of our dogs to coyotes about 3 years ago. I bought some light load 22 ammo and found out my ruger 10/22 won't even cycle with them they're so weak :emoji_laughing:.

I'm very limited in what firearm I can use due to neighbors scattered around. I try to make them very uncomfortable around my place. So far, it's working (but they're still lurking out there - I hear them a lot)

Best pic I saw all day! Thanks for posting.

I trapped 21 raccoons and 4 possums this season on my 123 acre farm. The old record was last year when I trapped 24 critters.

How in the heck do turkey hatches even survive?!

Coyotes and bobcats managed to avoid the sets we had for them...but then, luckily, we don't have many.

I live in the suburbs with a small green belt behind me. They are numerous here, and take a lot of cats and small dogs. Occasionally hear them, and I've seen a pack of them running past my back yard in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, can't shoot them in the 'burbs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky