To marinade or not to marinade? That is the question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

korbein

Original poster
May 21, 2009
Hi all. I am brand new to smoking and this is my first post, so go easy on me. I have been lurking and doing a lot of research before I jump in and I have learned a lot already. You all have provided me with information over load sometimes but I love it.

So as you can see form above my question is:

Should I marinade my brisket for 24 hrs BEFORE I apply my rub? I have heard that I should marinade for 24 hrs then drain and pat dry. After the brisket is dry apply a thin coating of yellow mustard first then my rub. Refigerate for another 2 -24 hrs (any recomendation on time would be usefull too). Remove from fridge abount 30 min - 60 min before smoking to "warm the meat." Has anyone tried this.

Thanks in advance for the help

Welcome aboard Korbein! Good questions. Here's my bit of help for you:

1) Marinating is optional. If you use a liquid that breaks down meat fibres, it can help soften it- like pineapple juice or vinegar. I've marinated briskets before, and overall didn't think there was much noticeable improvement in the flavor. The marinade doesn't penetrate the meat much more tha a quarter inch anyway. This one is a matter of choice.

2) I've also mustarded my briskets before putting on the rub. I prefer not to on briskets, cause it makes the bark a bit thicker than I like. I get plenty bark on briskets with just rubbing it "nekkid". I rub it usually 12 hours ahead of time and put it in the fridge.

3) I oull the brisket outta the fridge and then go outside, pull out the grill, set up the fire, let it burn to where I want it etcetera. This usually takes about an hour and a half to two hours and by then the brisket is ready. It's not fully room temperature, but the refrigerator chill has been knocked off.

Remember that with briskets the cooking techniques and temps are critically important~ it is a difficult piece of meat to barbecue. The flavor portion is all up to you, though. Just pick marinades, rubs, mops, sauces and wood that will compliment eachother.

May the TBS follow you wherever you go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky