Timberline 850 model comparison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jogurt8006

Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
Hello everybody

I need help to make the right decision. I want to buy a Timberline 850 pellet smoker

I can buy a Timberline 850 model 2018 for $ 600 cheaper than a Timberline 850 model 2019 (D2). The question is whether it is worth using the new features, or whether the older one is sufficient.

In my opinion, the only feature I need is TurboTemp. The grill heats up faster and balances the heat faster when you open and close the grill.

Does anyone have experience with the old and newer model?

Thanks in advance!

I don't own one or any pellet smoker yet..but have been reading reviews and combing the forums extensively for a month now and there is a solid majority that holds the Traeger Timberline series in low regard for the coin that is required to purchase it. It would seem at that price point there are much better options available. . I cant recommend this or that because I have no hands on experience but I would do some homework first.

I will say this. Some of the best Q I have ever had came from a beat up, and abused old Traeger that my neighbor had. It didn't have Turbotemp, wifi, or any other fancy tricks. He got into a little money and bought a new Traeger and gave the old one to a friend. He has regretted it ever since.

I have a Timberline 1300 and love it. The new D2 is a very nice upgrade but I don't know if it's worth $600, you can buy a lot of meat for $600.

FWIW, I purchased a new Timberline 850 three weeks ago and it was a major mistake. It sends out very little visible smoke, even on "Super Smoke", and so far there has been only a negligible amount of smoke flavor in anything I've cooked. Traeger support told me that this is all normal and that my pallet is too used to that ole' harmful, dirty smoke. Fine. It cannot keep a stable low temp of 165; it fluctuates between 125 and 269! Fluctuations of 20 degrees or more for other cook temps are the norm. The app constantly freezes-up. The side tray is showing a pattern of rust-like spots on it already and the wood cutting board is warping and cracking apart already.

I've been working with a support supervisor, but I finally fired-off an email to her tonight after the 165-degree test cook that they recommended went through some massive fluctuations, and requested that they allow me to return this kill-joy.

Keep in mind, that even at its best, the Timberline series is a grill that happens to emit some smoke. It is NOT a smoker.

Good luck,
Robert

FWIW, I purchased a new Timberline 850 three weeks ago and it was a major mistake. It sends out very little visible smoke, even on "Super Smoke", and so far there has been only a negligible amount of smoke flavor in anything I've cooked. Traeger support told me that this is all normal and that my pallet is too used to that ole' harmful, dirty smoke. Fine. It cannot keep a stable low temp of 165; it fluctuates between 125 and 269! Fluctuations of 20 degrees or more for other cook temps are the norm. The app constantly freezes-up. The side tray is showing a pattern of rust-like spots on it already and the wood cutting board is warping and cracking apart already.

I've been working with a support supervisor, but I finally fired-off an email to her tonight after the 165-degree test cook that they recommended went through some massive fluctuations, and requested that they allow me to return this kill-joy.

Keep in mind, that even at its best, the Timberline series is a grill that happens to emit some smoke. It is NOT a smoker.

Good luck,
Robert

Wow Robert, that is a scathing report.

If you are able to return it, well then I would recommend that you give Rec Tec a try.

Smoke flavor is subjective and will typically be reported to be "lighter" when it comes to all pellet grills vs stick burners, UDS and WSM style smokers.

But the wild temperature fluctuations are not something that you should have to deal with, hence my recommendation that you consider Rec Tec. The temps on those are as solid as a rock.

Good luck,
Robert

I think China is getting really pissed off at North America, and it is beginning to show.

$600 off the old model tells you how inflated the prices are, but if you're looking at a Traeger, getting your money's worth isn't a priority.

If I spent that much on a pellet cooker, it would be a Cookshack or a Yoder.

$600 off the old model tells you how inflated the prices are, but if you're looking at a Traeger, getting your money's worth isn't a priority.

If I spent that much on a pellet cooker, it would be a Cookshack or a Yoder.

I hear you. The $1799 retail price for the Traeger Timberline 850, is a lot of coin to drop on a pellet grill.

If I'm spending that kind of money, I'd go ahead spend another 100 bucks and buy a MAK.

In case anyone is interested, I finally got Traeger to give my dealer credit for my Timberline 850 so that the dealer would allow me to return it. A bit ridiculous that the dealer wouldn't allow me to return a poorly functioning $1,800 grill after such poor results, and Traeger service reps that were unhelpful and stopped returning my emails. It was only due to a Traeger dealer rep, who I was accidentally given access-to, who pulled-off the return. He went above and beyond for me.

I haven't received the credit yet but in anticipation, I pulled the trigger on a Yoder YS640s. I don't expect to have the same trouble with Yoder quality or service as I had with Traeger.

In case anyone is interested, I finally got Traeger to give my dealer credit for my Timberline 850 so that the dealer would allow me to return it. A bit ridiculous that the dealer wouldn't allow me to return a poorly functioning $1,800 grill after such poor results, and Traeger service reps that were unhelpful and stopped returning my emails. It was only due to a Traeger dealer rep, who I was accidentally given access-to, who pulled-off the return. He went above and beyond for me.

I haven't received the credit yet but in anticipation, I pulled the trigger on a Yoder YS640s. I don't expect to have the same trouble with Yoder quality or service as I had with Traeger.

Did you get the Yoder yet? Curious your thoughts on it.

Did you get the Yoder yet? Curious your thoughts on it.

I did get the Yoder and it is a tank! I've only done one minor cook with it, which was tilapia and sweet potatoes, which were delicious. There was definitely more smoke than the Traeger, but I need more more time with it to give a good impressions. Tomorrow I'm going to jump right in with the following cook:
  • Three racks of spare ribs
  • Several chickens-worth of breasts and thighs
  • Smoked sweet potatoes.
I'll post my observations after my BBQ-induced angioplasty!

Robert

How’s the YS640s treating you? Jealous as I bought my 640 three weeks before the S release.

How’s the YS640s treating you? Jealous as I bought my 640 three weeks before the S release.

So far I like the YS640s. It definitely puts out more smoke than the Traeger that I returned and has better build quality. I haven't used it enough to be totally comfortable with it yet. There definitely seems to be significant temp differences between the top and bottom racks and the left and right sides. I need to experiment more with the damper to get even temps across the racks, and maybe smoke different meats at different temps in the future.

It definitely powers-through a lot of pellets, and I do see a lot of smoke escaping from the grease drip tube and I'll see if there is anything I can do about that.

So far though, I'm pretty happy. Just wish I had more time to use it!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky