Thursdays Smoke: Carolina Pulled Pork, Wicked Smoked Bake Beans, ABT's -- Q/View HEAVY!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
Here's my Thursdays smoke. I've been doin a lot of smokin talk with some buds at our sons pony league games and they keep saying they are waiting for an invite.  I've been wanting to do a pulled pork so I figured I would just smoke one and take it to the game and have a tailgate party at my sons game. I mentioned it to the buds so they brought chips and pop.

I did a Carolina Style pulled pork. A nice rub with a dijon mustard/vinegar base mop and mustard base slaw to go with it. I did only a few ABT's stuffed with sausage and topped with Colby cheese and wrapped in bacon. I only did a few cause I didn't know if these guys were into jalepenos; only a few was a big mistake.  The bean recipe I got off here. Wicked baked beans but I smoked them. The beans had pineapple, brown sugar, onion, bell pepper and jalepenos added to them.

Here ya go:

d68db9e2_abt1.jpg

9b959c91_abt2.jpg

83c65b73_abt3.jpg

2b4a7abc_abt4.jpg

288b0f36_pulled1.jpg
58ae3907_beans.jpg

2a88106c_pulled1.jpg

78a6c927_pulled2.jpg

1cb225ed_pulled3.jpg

425115dc_all1.jpg

There ya have it.

--ray--

(0||||0)

Looks like a great feast 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Where did you say the games are i am on my way... Great looking food and wow you should sneak in and sell at the games...LOL

Most ball parks have a stand for food/drinks! Maybe you could add the pull make more money for the ball clubs and grounds.

The one feller said he would like to buy one of my smokers.  I told him for $700 I'll build ya one. The deal is, I build him one, he buys it, then I teach him how to smoke it. Done Deal!

--ray--

(0||||0)

Nice smoke, Ray! Good bark on that pork, bacon wrapped ABT's browned up really well and the wicked beans, well, those are always a big hit! I've done a several variations of Dutch's recipe, and they're always good.

Never underestimate the power of ABT's...after I introduced them to my family a year or so back, we rarely can have enough to go around...I've never offered them to anyone who gave me frowns or rude gestures in return! LOL!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing what was no doubt a nice little feast for the boys!

Eric

cool.gif

Yes Ray that is a great smoke and if it got you a smoker sale then you did that much better. Now you have to teach this guy how to smoke too. One thing for sure is now you will be able to enjoy more smoked food and not even have to lift a finger. Oh yea did you tell your buddy he's buying all the meat and this learning process could take a while like monthes.

Last edited:
cool.gif

Yes Ray that is a great smoke and if it got you a smoker sale then you did that much better. Now you have to teach this guy how to smoke too. One thing for sure is now you will be able to enjoy more smoked food and not even have to lift a finger. Oh yea did you tell your buddy he's buying all the meat and this learning process could take a while like monthes.
Thanx gang. It turned out to be a great smoke. Everyone enjoyed it.

Mark, yea I did let him know that he's buying the meat. LOL. 

To be honest, even with everyones help here, it took me 6-9 months to  grasp the smokin techniques.  Not that everything turned out bad before that but to actually get my meats to the consistancy and tastes that were not good but great. Plus I had to learn my smoker I built; how it reacted to differnent woods that had lesser or greater btu's than other woods, venting, all them variables.

To the beginner:  Take your time.  Maybe take on your new addiction like you're suppose to smoke: Low and Slow. And, keep a log of what you did (ie. what meat, wood, internal and chamber temps, time, results.) Just my 2 cents thrown in there. LOL

--ray--

(0||||0)

Everything looks perfect Ray !

Great food !

Great advice !

I hit you with a big thumbs up.

Thanks for the view,

Bearcarver

Making me hungry Ray! I can't wait to try the wicked beans and I also have a bunch of jalapeno's ready to pick, maybe I should give it a try. Thanks for the great ideas!

I gotta say that all looks great! Gives me some ideas, too.

That's one of the best things about this site. Great ideas and great people wanting to share.

I bow humbly to your expertise!

Thanks for all the great replys gang and the thumbs up.  I really am hooked on that carolina dijon mustard base mop for the pulled pork. 

I'd like to try another one though. I'm lookin.  Just so at the parties people can have a choice.  Any ideas?

--ray--

(0||||0)

When I wanted some at a Rochester MN BBQ joint the guy there told me ke didn't make any anymore as this isn't popular in MN but told me to look up Big Daddy's Carolina Style Mustard BBQ on the internet and I'd find the tastiest Mustard BBQ sauce I've ever had.  He was right.  I did have a pretty good sauce before that, but now use this for my pulled pork now.  Here's a link to one of the sites that has it. 

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/blb00114.htm

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky