This year's batch of chipotles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
Once I year I take a bunch of my jalapenos and smoke them into chipotles. They live in an airtight jar afterward and get tossed in a spice grinder (or used whole for stews/braises/etc) as needed. Roughly 16 hours at between 180-200 degrees F. I did eight hours the first day, shut the pellet smoker down, and finished them off the next day.

1688474426922.png

1688474414097.png

Nice . I used to do them in my MES 30 . I had enough peppers one year that the 30 ran all day for a week straight . I just kept loading it up and pulling what was done .
I had a variety . Made a great powder . I still have a gallon bag of whole smoked dehydrated . Wonder if they are still good ?

Reactions: LoydB
chopsaw chopsaw If the bag has been sealed, they are probably still great. I've used some up to two years later and still get better flavor than store-bought.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
If the bag has been sealed, they are probably still great.
Maybe even better ? Just dug the bag out of the pantry . Opened it up and was hit by a sweet smokey scent . My goodness they smell good . That's a variety of all the peppers I grew that year , which the file date says 2018 . I know there's Japs , green bell , hot banana , lunch box sweet , poblano , and a garden salsa . Plus tomato and onion slices . I kept the Tabascos in their own bag . I'd like to find a use for those . Of course the Reapers are kept out of the mix and marked .
I had twice that much . The other half is ground into powder .
1688571978146.png
1688571942588.png

Maybe even better ? Just dug the bag out of the pantry . Opened it up and was hit by a sweet smokey scent . My goodness they smell good . That's a variety of all the peppers I grew that year , which the file date says 2018 . I know there's Japs , green bell , hot banana , lunch box sweet , poblano , and a garden salsa . Plus tomato and onion slices . I kept the Tabascos in their own bag . I'd like to find a use for those . Of course the Reapers are kept out of the mix and marked .
I had twice that much . The other half is ground into powder .
View attachment 669749
View attachment 669748
Nice stash!!

do you grind up the stems and all?
I cut that end off , but I don't get to crazy about it . There's some stems and seeds in there . Hmm . Just had a high school flash back .
20210828_081107.jpg
Nice stash!!
I had a bunch of peppers that year , and not that many plants .
Like I mentioned , I ran the 30 all day for a week . Shut it down at night , then started again in the morning . I can't believe how good it smelled when I opened that bag .

• Haha
Reactions: clifish and jcam222
I also generally break off the stems, but am not maniacal about it.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky