Thermometer Insertion Timing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

friedboudinball

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
US - Dirty South
I read a lot of people saying wait two hours or so before putting the thermo into a boston butt, for example.  This is to "avoid food safety issues"...so, my question it, if you are cooking to 205 anyway, why does this matter?  Most pork bacteria is killed in the 120-130 range, right?  Any bacteria on your probe, or inserted into the meat will be well above that temp.

I'm no microbiologist, just curious.

Good question, boudin.  I have been wondering too.  I have heard to put it in at the start of the smoke, this avoids opening the smoker and losing heat and smoke.  There should be someone jumping in and explaining soon.  Steve

IMHO there is no need to check temps on a pork butt until it has been cooking for 5-6 hours, anything less and you're fussing over it too much.

It's called the 140 in 4 rule. Bacteria loves to grow in temps 40* - 140* and to be safe you want to get through that range in 4 hours. Just because you cook to 200* if it sit in the danger zone for 10 hours the 200* won't kill it. Any type of injection or probe can push surface bacteria deep into the meat and that's why you want to get over 140* in less than 4 hours. And like Cliff said there's really no need to check temps on a butt until well into the cook.

This rule is really a lot more in depth I was doing a quick summary, here is a lot of good reading about it that will really explain it in detail:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=4+in+140+rule

IMHO there is no need to check temps on a pork butt until it has been cooking for 5-6 hours, anything less and you're fussing over it too much.
I am of this same school.  I don't probe briskets or butts until at least 4 to 5 hours into a cook.  I guess for those who power cook (300 degrees plus), probing might need to be done at the start.  

It's called the 140 in 4 rule. Bacteria loves to grow in temps 40* - 140* and to be safe you want to get through that range in 4 hours. Just because you cook to 200* if it sit in the danger zone for 10 hours the 200* won't kill it. Any type of injection or probe can push surface bacteria deep into the meat and that's why you want to get over 140* in less than 4 hours. And like Cliff said there's really no need to check temps on a butt until well into the cook.
This rule is really a lot more in depth I was doing a quick summary, here is a lot of good reading about it that will really explain it in detail:
 http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=4+in+140+rule

Agree 100%

On a personal observation of my last couple cooks. My target range is 250-275 and I have noticed I don't get much of the stall with that temp range. I use a bit hotter than the 225 because I want to make sure I make it through the TDZ faster. I get twitches if it is close.

I read a lot of people saying wait two hours or so before putting the thermo into a boston butt, for example.  This is to "avoid food safety issues"...so, my question it, if you are cooking to 205 anyway, why does this matter?  Most pork bacteria is killed in the 120-130 range, right?  Any bacteria on your probe, or inserted into the meat will be well above that temp.

I'm no microbiologist, just curious.
 You are correct, most Bacteria are killed at around 130*F, based on time at that temp...During the average Smoke at 225*F+ with no problems it don't matter, Probe from Raw, Inject whatever, punch Garlic into the meat, do whatever you like...BUT...What if...You read it's a good idea to warm the Meat to Room Temp for 2-3 hours, you go in the Smoker and fight for 6 hours to keep the temp above 200*F. The meat finally hits 140*F after 6 hours (you have now been in the Danger Zone 9 hours). You take the meat to 200*F IT, knowing you killed the Bacteria, you proceed to Pull and Eat it and 2 hours later the whole Family is sick...What happened??? You also need to understand that many types of Bacteria while they can't or don't hurt you, can create Toxins that Do...The Bacteria dies at 130*F but many of these Toxins are Heat Stable meaning you could cook the meat to 400*F IT and have little effect on the Toxins ability to make you sick or Dead...If you have any Toxin producing Bacteria on the surface of the meat you risk Pushing them in with the Therm Probe or by Injecting. There are some precations you can take to cover your Butt (pun intended). Never, Never, Never, Warm meat that will be cooked more than 4 hours on the Counter! Wash the meat, being careful not to Splash and contaminate the whole area. Rub meat with a Vinegary Mustard or other Acidic liquid and apply a Salty Rub before Injecting anything and/or Probing or simply start the Cook and wait 1-2 hours, for the Bacteria to be killed, before Probing. This way if anything goes wrong with the Smoke there is little to worry about...Hope this helps...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: woodcutter
Call me "curious" but are you guys saying not to stick a remote probe into a butt or brisket until 4 or 5 hours into the cook are are you talkin' instant read probes?

I always put my Maverick probe in the meat when I put it on the heat. I rarely open the door thereafter until I get to the IT desired. If I'm doing more pieces of meat than I have remote probes, I choose one or two to get the probes and use them as a guide to when I'll open up and put an instant read in the others.

What am I missin' here?

Call me "curious" but are you guys saying not to stick a remote probe into a butt or brisket until 4 or 5 hours into the cook are are you talkin' instant read probes?
I always put my Maverick probe in the meat when I put it on the heat. I rarely open the door thereafter until I get to the IT desired. If I'm doing more pieces of meat than I have remote probes, I choose one or two to get the probes and use them as a guide to when I'll open up and put an instant read in the others.
What am I missin' here?
They say if you put a probe in the meat before it reaches 140* you'll be pushing "bad guys" on the surface deep into the meat.   It probably makes sence not to put the probe in for a few hours on big cuts of meat becasue you know it's gonna be a while anyway. 

They say if you put a probe in the meat before it reaches 140* you'll be pushing "bad guys" on the surface deep into the meat.   It probably makes sence not to put the probe in for a few hours on big cuts of meat becasue you know it's gonna be a while anyway. 

I can see that it might be possible, but I always wipe down my probes with isopropyl alcohol after using them and before using them. I just can't see that using a freshly disinfected probe is gonna hurt, but I'm not a food safety expert and I did almost die last summer due to a massive streptococcus millerii infection. Of course the reason the infection got so bad is that the baddies latched on to an artificial knee that had been in place for 2 years and the circulatory system cannot wash out the foreign object like it does human cells.

For the record, this occurred before I started using remote probes in smoked meat.

For the record, this occurred before I started using remote probes in smoked meat.
police2.gif

I can see that it might be possible, but I always wipe down my probes with isopropyl alcohol after using them and before using them. I just can't see that using a freshly disinfected probe is gonna hurt, but I'm not a food safety expert and I did almost die last summer due to a massive streptococcus millerii infection. Of course the reason the infection got so bad is that the baddies latched on to an artificial knee that had been in place for 2 years and the circulatory system cannot wash out the foreign object like it does human cells.
 Rabbit, It ain't the Probe that is the Problem, you Sterilized it with Alcohol...BUT...Unless you wiped the MEAT down with Alcohol...IT...Is covered with Bacteria that a freshly sterilized probe will push in. Think of it this way...In the hospital they pull a 100% guaranteed sterile Syringe out of the package but they Wipe your arm well with Alcohol...Why, the needle is sterile!...Your Arm Isn't!. Hope this clears things up...JJ

BTW: I am a Certified ServSafe Food Safety Instructor...That's gettin' pretty close to expert.
439.gif

Last edited:
What am I missin' here?
Yes, I am. You are doing it correctly IMHO

Chef JimmyJ pretty much has you cover on the food safety side.

The biggest thing is to make sure you do everything you can to make sure the product you serve is safe.

Buy from reliable vendors. Look at their cold holding units, the packaging, sell by dates. If anything looks off move on to another store.

Get your meat as the last item when shopping.

If you are traveling more than 30min in your car/truck use an ice chest to transport it in. Buy a $3.00 bag of ice to use to make sure it stays as cold as possible. This way you can also get everything situated at home and you know the meat will be fine for some time, depends on how much ice and the size of your cooler.

Bacteria also needs to be within a certain PH level for it to grow ( I forget the range, I think it is 4.5-8.7, I am sure someone will add it if that is not correct) so things that are outside that range make it very hard for bacteria to grow. That is why brines and rubs with salt help fight the growth and spread of bacteria.

As you smoke/cook more you will get a feel for the timing of how long things cook. Then you will get the timing of when to start your temp taking. Most everyone, including myself, will be conservative with their advice. No one wants to lead you down a wrong path. You will have friends, family or even some on SMF that will say " well my mom always, my brothers girlfriends dad's doctor......does it this way....." But in the end you will will have to make the best educated decision based what you see, smell and taste.

Good luck and happy smoking!

Chef JJ and JJChef - you guys make a great argument. I might start anointing my meat with a little isopropyl rub before inserting the remote probe. I find it very, very helpful to be able to monitor both the smoker temp and the meat temp because I have very little experience (first real smoke was when I did the Thanksgiving bird last year). Being 70 doesn't do much for my attention span, either. And . . . I really like not opening the smoker and losing temp in the middle of a smoke.

I am not arguing with your expertise and superior knowledge, but I wonder by how much any risk is increased by inserting a clean probe at the beginning. If there is any scientific or even incidental evidence, I would really like to read the information and view sources.

I am not arguing with your expertise and superior knowledge, but I wonder by how much any risk is increased by inserting a clean probe at the beginning. If there is any scientific or even incidental evidence, I would really like to read the information and view sources.
 Rabbit we also are not arguing...Both Jarjar and myself are Pros that are or have been responsible for the Feeding and Health of Thousands of people on any given day or over time. So it is imperative that we do Everything in our power to make sure nothing happens to jeopardize our customers and the Precautions we describe are highly effective, therefore we pass that info on to the rest of SMF. The long and short of it is..." How many people have gotten sick from sticking a probe in a hunk of raw meat? "...I have no Clue! But someone knows because they teach us not to do it! The way Bacteria works and how it reacts in and on meat as it cooks is well known...You can wipe the therm probe between your Butt cheeks and then Spit on it and stick it in a hunk of meat that the Dog licked for an hour and as long as nothing goes wrong during the cook...Absolutely Nothing will happen to you! But we know that our Backsides and Spit and Dogs mouth's are full of bacteria so we just don't do any of these things. Same in this situation... We know that Meat is covered with bacteria and 9999 times out of 10,000 you can stick that Probe in that raw meat and nothing will happen...But because we also know that just " ONE " time something goofy can happen, and Maybe we pushed some Bacteria into the meat...So we will not risk it, we take every precaution to avoid getting anybody sick...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky