The Best Charcoal for Grilling (according to Food & Wine)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
stopped by Costco and got 4 more (2 packs) today. Think I have about 16 (2 packs) now. A few more and I will be set for rest of the year. Idk if it’s the best but I sure like it best out of the stuff I have tried.
You stock up on charcoal like I do pellets. Haha

• Haha
Reactions: flatbroke
They should be shamed for even listing the matchlight stuff in their list!!!
And so very true about finding these somewhere other than Amazon.

Jim
I don't know Jim. I've used match light before on picnics. And as long as you let it burn down properly it is fine IMHO. Though, at home, no.
Another thumbs up on your Amazon comment. It isn't always the best resource for some items.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm shocked this hasn't turned into a Fogo vs. The World flame fest :)

I use B&B mostly, and am happy with it. I've used Fogo in the past, and didn't feel it was worth the price upgrade.

I don't know Jim. I've used match light before on picnics. And as long as you let it burn down properly it is fine IMHO. Though, at home, no.
Another thumbs up on your Amazon comment. It isn't always the best resource for some items.
Walmart online is the same way. I filter my searches down to only items sold and shipped by Walmart when shipping there.

Reactions: Steve H
I'm shocked this hasn't turned into a Fogo vs. The World flame fest :)

I use B&B mostly, and am happy with it. I've used Fogo in the past, and didn't feel it was worth the price upgrade.
Probably because we are all broke from buying meat, processing equipment and multiple smokers we can’t afford Fogo and relegate ourselves to bargain priced charcoal lol

Probably because we are all broke from buying meat, processing equipment and multiple smokers we can’t afford Fogo and relegate ourselves to bargain priced charcoal lol
100% , that FOGO is more than I can rationalize from a cost to benefit standpoint.

Made a WM run this morning and was going to try a bag of Blues Hog lump for $15. Only 1 bag and is was busted. Had a very limited selection and brought a bag of RO home. Should have taken time to run by ACE for B&B!

Keith

Reactions: jcam222
Made a WM run this morning and was going to try a bag of Blues Hog lump for $15. Only 1 bag and is was busted. Had a very limited selection and brought a bag of RO home. Should have taken time to run by ACE for B&B!

Keith

I get B&B at Academy for $10 for 17 pound bag. Then I use an Academy credit card and get 5% off that price.

Are there Academy's in Georgia ?

If I think something is a substantial quality upgrade (e.g. buying my beef and pork local) I have no issue paying for it. I cannot detect a noticeable quality improvement from Fogo over B&B.

I get B&B at Academy for $10 for 17 pound bag. Then I use an Academy credit card and get 5% off that price.

Are there Academy's in Georgia ?
Now that's a deal !
We have them but an hr drive from me. And I rarely work in a town with one😒

Keith

I've found Kingsford burns slower and lasts longer than most Brands I have tried. Got some Jealous Devil Lump I haven't tried yet.
You'll love the JD. Used it almost exclusively over the last year. I used to run royal oak lump and honestly its trash. The guys above gave it a review that is much more that it deserves.

You'll love the JD. Used it almost exclusively over the last year. I used to run royal oak lump and honestly its trash. The guys above gave it a review that is much more that it deserves.
I've tried RO in the past and found it to burn too fast. Looking forward to the JD.

BTW, today is last day for Academy's 20% off on-line purchases.

That means B&B oak briquettes , 17# bag reg $10 , now $8

B&B oak lump, 20# bag reg $15 , now $12

Just order on-line and go pick it up. And use an Academy credit card and get another 5% off.

The charcoal I use is the stuff I make myself. If you have the wood and don’t count the labor, it’s free.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3117.jpeg
    IMG_3117.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky