Thawing Brisket Opinion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodman3

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Kansas
I am thawing my brisket in ice water. Apparently the vacuum seal broke and ice water is in the bag Would you guys still use it? The cooler was clean I am hesitant

I personally would still use it, I would take it out of the vacum bag though and just thaw in the fridge

Dry it throughly with paper towels and proceed. That water logged portion will end up as bark and you won't notice a difference...JJ

Dry it throughly with paper towels and proceed. That water logged portion will end up as bark and you won't notice a difference...JJ[/QUOT
Dry it throughly with paper towels and proceed. That water logged portion will end up as bark and you won't notice a difference...JJ
I read on USDA website if the bag had torn open or water had gotten in it could have exposed the meat to bacteria now I am hesitant to eat it . The meat was under ice water the entire time.

It's considered a solid muscle so the nasties I believe are only on the outside of the meat(if at all since it was on ice). Cooking to 200* will kill the bacteria.

Chris

I agree with the above, enjoy your brisket!
BTW, JJ is the food safety moderator, so if he says it's good, then it's good!
Al

It will be fine. Yes bacteria from the sink or water could be introduced but it don't matter. You are cooking it. Any bacteria that were on the meat or got introduced, begin to die off as soon as the meat surface hits 130 and by 150 are history. To give an extreme example I used on my students...You could take a a Pork Butt play Soccer with it in a Cow Pasture, let dogs lick it off, have your sick wife sneeze and cough on it a few times as she gets it from the dogs, give it a thorough wash and throw it in the Oven. Roast at 225°F or higher and it will be COMPLETELY SAFE TO EAT!...JJ

I've had the same thing happen with frozen turkey and chicken a couple of times in the past.

As everyone above has said, continue thawing in ice water that is at 40 degrees or below. Once the brisket is completly thawed, rinse, pat dry, and continue prepping it for the smoke.

I'll add that the brisket or portion that was exposed to the water might take on a grayish sort tint due to the water leaching out the myoglobin from the meat.

The brisket will still be safe to cook and eat.

It will be fine. Yes bacteria from the sink or water could be introduced but it don't matter. You are cooking it. Any bacteria that were on the meat or got introduced, begin to die off as soon as the meat surface hits 130 and by 150 are history. To give an extreme example I used on my students...You could take a a Pork Butt play Soccer with it in a Cow Pasture, let dogs lick it off, have your sick wife sneeze and cough on it a few times as she gets it from the dogs, give it a thorough wash and throw it in the Oven. Roast at 225°F or higher and it will be COMPLETELY SAFE TO EAT!...JJ
I vote we get a GoFundMe for a soccer ball instead...

What I ended up doing was removing the brisket from original package it still was mostly frozen. Putting in a new vacuum seal bag Then back into the water for remainder of that Smoked it at 275° or so until meat was at 140ish. Foiled it finishing cooking in the oven at 325° I finish in the oven I'm too lazy to move back to cooker Pulled at 205 internal temp
20181216_182954.jpg

Looks great!...JJ

I donno, Chef JimmyJ.
If I said, "Let's go play butt soccer!"
I think people might think I'd been on a State paid vacation or something. o_O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky