Thank god for some cold weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Reb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Wellsville PA
Been a crazy couple of weeks in south central PA 50 degree weather mostly. Two weeks ago we got a cold snap over the weekend came down in the teens for 2 days. I quick made a phone call when i saw the forecast an ordered 2 hogs from a long time family friend who raises close to 300 hogs a year and beef as well.
Needless to say its been a busy couple weeks since then gettin bacons an hams cured an smoked. Thats where I am at now just took 2 hams outta the smoker that i brined and glazed, sorry no pics completely forgot in the midst of everything going on. Now on to the bacons 4 full bellys headed fir the smoker shortly ill leave them in at 100 for a couple hours tgen ill kill the heat an cold smoke close to 12 hours. Pics of my bacons to follow stay tuned have a great day yall.
20200215_200614.jpg
20200215_200618.jpg
20200215_200609.jpg
20200215_162600.jpg
20200213_184759.jpg

Few pics from the weekend i got the hogs we still do everything old school. I have an Aukey kettle furnace that we use to make scrapple, puddin, an we still render lard as well, which by the way frying organ meat in a kettle full of pork fat is tge absolute best way to eat liver heart an kidney, fried kidney being a personal favorite of mine.

Couple bacon pics
20200301_092153.jpg
20200301_091759.jpg
20200301_091749.jpg
20200301_091744.jpg

Full hams an bacons is alot of meat for my little masterbuilt but its done a great job over the past 7 years of which only 1 of tgose years i didn do any hogs. Its been a great unit an with a few cheap mods an a cheap pid i built its worked very well from ribs to 2 35lb hams once. As of yesterday i started to upgrade, i picked up an old fridgidaire metal fridge to convert. Thanks to yall on here that have done it, so far got the fridge a 1500 watt element an the Auber dual probe pid.

All Looks Great, Reb!!
Can't wait to see your build completed & in action!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Reactions: Reb
Geez with all the food your making now, your going to be a regular supermarket when you get that new rig up & running!
Al

Geez with all the food your making now, your going to be a regular supermarket when you get that new rig up & running!
Al
Right lol i pretty much am now Al. We tossed around the idea of buyin a local butcher shop thats for sale but its still being debated.

Great post, thanks for sharing. Cannot beat doing your own Butchering. The bacon looks like it will be so good and no shortage of it!

Great post, thanks for sharing. Cannot beat doing your own Butchering. The bacon looks like it will be so good and no shortage of it!
Def no shortage should of seen the year we did 11 hogs lol i was 8 so 21 years ago. We had a stand alone smoke house at that time an a block building we butchered in that only had cold water. We still scalded hogs at that time so mostly the women would boil water an bring it out to the scalding troughs. That was a hell of a year we just dont see winters like that anymore either i miss having really cold months.

Yea the ways of the good old days and a lost art to the young of today. Yup grew up the same way families would go from place to place to help each other butcher. The big old case iron kettles to render lard and make scrapple. Dang now i'm hungry have to go fix some breakfast.

Warren

Yea the ways of the good old days and a lost art to the young of today. Yup grew up the same way families would go from place to place to help each other butcher. The big old case iron kettles to render lard and make scrapple. Dang now i'm hungry have to go fix some breakfast.

Warren
Yup still have an use 3 of those kettles, i still stuff my sausage with a cast iron enterprise stuffer too.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Thanks for the like Reb it is greatly appreciated.
Where in Pa are you located we have 2 gatherings in Pa one in the spring near Hummelstown and one in the fall near Port Matilda. Look under events and read up on them.

Warren

Thanks for the like Reb it is greatly appreciated.
Where in Pa are you located we have 2 gatherings in Pa one in the spring near Hummelstown and one in the fall near Port Matilda. Look under events and read up on them.

Warren
Northern York county not far from hummelstown thanks for the info ill check them out.

Yup. We used to butcher all the time. Best scrapple ever. Store bought stuff sucks. Someone needs better knife work thou. LOL Everything is looking great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky