TESTING A NEW COMPETITION COOKING METHOD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

djsmokesupreme

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Neptune Beach, Florida
I read about a new method for competition smoking for chicken thighs, and I decided to test it. I prepped 8 thighs. First, I scraped the fat off the underside of the skin, then I detached the thigh bone from one end and cut it free of the meat almost to the other end on 4 of them. According to the instructions, as the meat cooks, the thigh bone is supposed to pop up like a Popsicle stick for easy eating. I applied my chicken rub. On half, I put a little rub under the skin flap, and on the other half, I put a teaspoon of Jeff's BBQ sauce under the skin.

I q-viewed the process. Hopefully, the videos will upload properly, and you can see how things came out.

The quick take-away is that this method cooks the chicken waaaaaay too fast, so no depth of flavor, and the meat is the consistency of braised or boiled chicken. If I hadn't checked at one hour, it would have all been a burnt mess. I had to grill the thighs off, to dry them out and crisp the skin. Oh, and the Popsicle sticks are still in the freezer.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hope you enjoy the videos.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky