Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Antigo Wisconsin
At what temperature do you find you can get smoke out of the regular chip tray and dump tube before going to a higher temperature first ... what temperature do you first get smoke

Last edited:
Kevin,
I wish I could help you.
But since I don't use an MES, I am at a loss for giving advice.
I am sure MES owners will chime in with their experiences.

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
As long as your chips are already lit you can get smoke at any temp, I always do chicken at 275 on mine with no problem, I haven't used mine in a while but plan on firing it up for some type of a cook soon,at the lower temps it might be hard to get them smoldering so start it higher before you put your food on, then turn down, I plan on using my tube to see how well it works in it,

In most smokers the best smoke temp for producing the best/most smoke is in between 225* to 275*
Anything hotter than 275* to 325* the heat starts consuming the smoke so you won't get as much of the smokey goodness at higher temps.

I hope that helps you figure things out.

Dan

In most smokers the best smoke temp for producing the best/most smoke is in between 225* to 275*
Anything hotter than 275* to 325* the heat starts consuming the smoke so you won't get as much of the smokey goodness at higher temps.

I hope that helps you figure things out.

Dan
I'm wondering about the low end at what temperature do you first get smoke...I have the tubes,trays etc I'm wondering about the element at what temperature does it first produce smoke

In a tray or foil pack normally around 225* F but you have to remember that the chips or pellets are right on top of a heat source, so they are going to be a lot hotter than the ambient chamber temp.
If I remember correctly most wood will combust away from a direct heat source right around 300* F meaning if you placed a tray of wood chips or dust on the middle shelf of your oven at 300* it will ignite eventually after the wood temp reaches 300* It might be 325* I can't remember that far back.
I took fire science classes about 30 years ago. :emoji_joy:

It's kinda hard to explain........LOL

In a tray or foil pack normally around 225* F but you have to remember that the chips or pellets are right on top of a heat source, so they are going to be a lot hotter than the ambient chamber temp.
If I remember correctly most wood will combust away from a direct heat source right around 300* F meaning if you placed a tray of wood chips or dust on the middle shelf of your oven at 300* it will ignite eventually after the wood temp reaches 300* It might be 325* I can't remember that far back.
I took fire science classes about 30 years ago. :emoji_joy:

It's kinda hard to explain........LOL
It seems like about 225is when I first see smoke using the chip loader ..I was wondering if anyone was getting it earlier I don't use the tray much usually the amazen tubes

My mes starts smoking around 200, some will start sooner. Bearcarver mentioned in a thread a while back to try and bend the chip tray a little so it's closer or touching the element. Maybe he'll chime in to explain it better.

My experience with smoke in my MES ties the smoke more to the element on/off than actual temperature.

I've smoked at 170. When the MES is ramping up to 170, I get nice smoke as the element is mostly on. When the MES gets to temp, element goes off, and so does the smoke. I always have partially burned chips left in the chip tray. At 225 the element stays hot enough to keep the chips smoking.

To get smoke at 170 I used Amazen tubes with my mailbox mod. I also use the tube/mailbox for long smokes (butt/brisket) where I want smoke for 6+ hours and I'd rather sleep than feed chips.

My experience with smoke in my MES ties the smoke more to the element on/off than actual temperature.

I've smoked at 170. When the MES is ramping up to 170, I get nice smoke as the element is mostly on. When the MES gets to temp, element goes off, and so does the smoke. I always have partially burned chips left in the chip tray. At 225 the element stays hot enough to keep the chips smoking.

To get smoke at 170 I used Amazen tubes with my mailbox mod. I also use the tube/mailbox for long smokes (butt/brisket) where I want smoke for 6+ hours and I'd rather sleep than feed chips.
That's kinda my experience I just purchased a 40 and did the seasoning then some playing around with it..I noticed I don't get continuous smoke until about 225 where it burns to ashes..my 30 is the same way I to use the tubes in a mod I was just wondering if anyone expiernced anything different like smoke and nice burning ashes at 150/180 etc

I was just wondering if anyone expiernced anything different like smoke and nice burning ashes at 150/180 etc
I
tried it a few times while making jerky before my mod. Didn't work very well as I would have to crank heat up to get smoke and then turn back down. End up chasing desired smoking temp around to much, hence the tube and tray mod.

I use my pellet tray. No need to worry about any temp. Light it and leave it. Did the mail box mod like most. Later on I gutted my 40 and added in this. Never regretted doing that to the unit.
20180427_140319.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
I too have an Auber on my MES-40. If I were to do it now, I might start with an Inkbird PID controller. But it's hard to change as the Auber and I get along well and it does a good job of temperature control.

With a tube you should be able to get the chamber temp down to your required temps with no problems as long as your tube will have enough air flow to stay lit. Seeing that the burning/ smoldering ember is inside the tube you might have to set the chamber temp below the temp you are shooting to compensate for the heat the tube puts off.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky