Temperature stability, wood addition and cresosote buildup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ray5920

Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
I bought a GOSM 3895GWLA early April. Made the suggested mods (insulating the door, dual temperature probe, needle valve and added latches to the door)  and have smoked ribs, 2 whole chickens, 1 turkey and a brisket. I rushed the brisket (12 hours should have been 16 hours). The major problem I have is maintaining a temperature. I put a needle valve in line but the temperature still wanders up or down about 10 degrees in and hour. My goal is to set and only adjust once every 2 to 4 hours. Would bricks help.  I do put a pan of water in the smoker.

Also, looking for suggestions on how much wood chunks to add at a time?

One last thing - the exhaust vent on top of the unit is presently fused in position. I believe the problem is creosote build up (black stuff) - is that normal?  Two options to clean is to heat it up and see if I can remove it then soak in vinegar or squirt vinegar around the top to loosen then clean.  Is cresosote built common or am I going something wrong?

A couple of pictures

The Grill

The Chickens

The Brisket

The Turkey

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I don't own a propane smoker, but do have a bit of knowledge about smoking and heat.  Relax, it is all good.

A 10 degree fluctuation in chamber temp is absolutely nothing to worry about.  Heck, I don't sweat 50F rises.  BIg drops in temp are an issue, but rises and small drops, not so much.  Yes, it is great having a stable chamber temp, but 10F is nothing, even the drops.  My last pork butt had chamber temps between 217F and 275F, and I have a controller.  Sure, it is stable a lot of the time, but there are a lot of dynamics going on inside a smoke chamber that cause temp fluctuations.

Lots of folks use bricks, sand, etc.  Try it, just know that whatever you add is a heat sink that must be warmed, just like cold meat.  I don't use anything.

Your top vent is normal.  Heck, there are some times I can barely move the top vent on my WSM.  It is creosote and smoke particulates mixed with fat and water from the meat.  Call it "seasoning."  You can move the top vent a time or two during a smoke to get it unstuck.  You can also clean it as you suggested, or with a food safe cleaner.  

What you are experiencing is all normal.  The results above speak for themselves.  Nice job BTW.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky