Temperature controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shelbym

Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Hey guys/gals I need some help. Years ago I found a thread on here that explained how to build a PID temp controller for a homemade electric smoker. I thought I saved all the information but I've changed computers several times since then. I built one for myself and it works great. I want to build another for my father. Can anyone point me in the right direction please, thank you for your help.

There are a few posts on this site if you search for DIY controller. I used an off the shelf PID controller with a k type thermocouple. I got a good price from aliexpress.com

Last edited:
They have kits for specific cookers plus plenty of adapters to allow you to customize your setup to fit your needs.

Reactions: JC in GB
Hey guys/gals I need some help. Years ago I found a thread on here that explained how to build a PID temp controller for a homemade electric smoker. I thought I saved all the information but I've changed computers several times since then. I built one for myself and it works great. I want to build another for my father. Can anyone point me in the right direction please, thank you for your help.

I presume you already have the electric smoker? It's pretty easy to build a PID controller. It's basically the PID, temp sensor, and a SSR to switch the power to the element. Only other things are the case and wiring. Or is this for another type of smoker as PID's can be adapted to charcoal/wood smokers and pellet smokers. But from your post, it sounds like you are talking about electric.

Another option is you can just buy a nice pre-made one from Auber Instruments. I've done both (made several homemade - biggest project was a PID controller for a 15kw electric textile dryer for T-shirt screen printing to replace the original analog setup.). You can also find inexpensive ones on eBay, but Auber Instruments have excellent customer support and warranty support.

Basic PID construction diagram (note: the actual "pin out" can vary from brand to brand of PID and there are different temp sensor types that can be used on pretty much all of them). Make sure you use the actual "pin out" for your specific PID controller. Most of them have the schematic on the side of the unit like the schematic in the example below (I think that is from a MYPIN TA4 but it was so long ago I drew that I really don't remember - it was for someone asking a similar question). Also make sure the SSR is on a proper heat sink and is sized for the amperage of the heating load you are controlling. As long as the SSR is rated higher than the heating element load you are OK. There is also a way to wire the same parts for 220v to control a higher output heating element. But most smokers use a electric element of 1,500 watts or less and run on 110v like the example below.

Yes it is an electric smoker built out of an old fridge. The heat source is a 220v stove element. If you have a drawing for 220v that would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Most PID controllers that I have used that utilize an AC input will work from 85 VAC to 265 VAC. The SSR also doesn't care which voltage you run at as long as the load is sufficient to latch and hold the SSR which should not be an issue running a heating element. Just look at the nameplate and it should tell you the operating voltages. It should actually be easier and more straight forward to wire it for 220 VAC. Also, you can run the controller at 115 VAC and the SSR at 220 VAC. Neither the controller nor the SSR will care.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky