TBoneJack's Super Bowl Brisket Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbonejack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
For my first cook since Christmas, I'm smoking a brisket for the Super Bowl. I thought it would be fun to make a journal. I hope everyone's favorite team wins.

Details
  • Prime-grade, whole packer brisket
  • From Costco
  • 14.86 lb before trimming, about 12 lb afterwards
  • $50, tax included
  • Smoker: Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Kingsford Blue Original charcoal, Weber Starter Cubes
  • Oak and apple smoke wood (just a little of each)
  • Wrap at 170, finish to 203, hold for 2 hours
Steps

1. Saturday, 5:00pm: trim the brisket, leaving about a quarter inch of the fat cap intact.

2. Saturday, midnight: dry-brine overnight with Morton kosher salt (half teaspoon of salt per lb of trimmed meat).

3. Sunday, 6:00am: rub the brisket with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.

4. Sunday, 8:00 am: apply a bit of olive oil, then sprinkle on a homemade rub (spicy, southwestern style). I put no salt in the rub, because the meat gets plenty of salt from dry-brining and Worcestershire.

5. Hang the brisket in the smoker, and cook to 170 degrees (about 4 hours).

6. Wrap in foil and cook to 203 degrees in my convection oven (the oven temp will be based upon how long it is until game time).

7. Hold the brisket in a cooler for 2 hours.

8. Slice and make sandwiches. Freeze the uneaten portion for smoked brisket stew.

I'll post pics soon.

Looks like you got it all planned out. Keep us posted.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky