Tatonka ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigTurtle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
Any favorite bison recipes ? Ground bison. I've found an interesting smoked bison meatloaf. Anyone else ? Tossing around some burger sandwich ideas in my head right now.

Leaner than beef. It still has a little fat content. I've had burgers made with it and ribeyes quite tasty.

Leaner than beef. It still has a little fat content. I've had burgers made with it and ribeyes quite tasty.

I’d maybe try hamburgers then to allow the bison meat to shine through that way it doesn’t get lost with a bunch of other ingredients mixed in. That’s just me though. I’m sure anything will taste great with it

That's very true. I read an early explorers account that the trail from bison travelling into Kentucky from the West to the great salt licks was nearly a mile wide and that so many hooves had travelled it that the earth had been turned into the consistency of fine face powder. The elk were also indigenous in Ohio and old Kaintuck. Kentucky has restored the elk to the Southeastern region with quite a bit of success. I haven't travelled to Western Kentucky but I have read accounts of bison in the Land Between the Lakes region. The buffalo I've eaten has only been lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and done on wood fired grills. In my youth when living where ever the Air Force sent my dad, there was a large car dealership in Montana that would have a large open house and they advertised with a whole bison "BBQ". There is a vid on YouTube of a whole buffalo on a spit/rotisserie. That's more than I'll ever try but I will acquire some roasts from this fellow in time. He sells a whole bison or half, dressed but not cut and wrapped. I need another freezer.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky