Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GatorAGR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 30, 2024
Carmel, IN
Anyone have a good "sweet" italian recipe? Wife wants me to make her some for spaghetti meat.

Italian Sausage

Ingredients

• 15 to 18 feet natural hog casing 32-35mm, or pack in bulk
  • 7 pounds fatty pork shoulder
  • 2 pounds hard pork fat
  • 6 tablespoons fennel seeds
  • 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
  • 1 tablespoon dry basil
  • 1 tablespoon dry oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 tablespoons sea salt
  • 4 teaspoons black pepper, coarse
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons grated garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed shaved ice (or ice water)

Instructions

Add the hog casing to a medium-sized bowl and cover by 4 to 5 inches with cold water, and set it aside.

Cut pork and fat into 1-inch chunks and place them into a bowl, cover them, and put them in the freezer or refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes.

In the meantime, add the fennel, coriander, basil, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, salt, paprika, and sugar to a spice grinder and pulse 10 to 15 times to break down the fennel and coriander a bit. This does not have to be perfect.

Run the cold cubed pork through the food grinder using the medium size dye (3/16” or 4.5mm) into another pan.

Add in all the spices, garlic, and shaved ice, and mix thoroughly.

Fry a small piece of the Italian sausage and taste it to adjust any seasonings, and then place it again in the freezer or refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.

Run some water through the center of the hog casing to rinse everything out.

Attach the hog casing around the sausage filler, tie a knot at the end, run the chilled sausage through the attachment at low speed, and stuff the hog casing. of the sausage and continue stuffing until all the ingredients have been used. Can pack as bulk as well.

Italian Sausage

Ingredients

• 15 to 18 feet natural hog casing 32-35mm, or pack in bulk
  • 7 pounds fatty pork shoulder
  • 2 pounds hard pork fat
  • 6 tablespoons fennel seeds
  • 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
  • 1 tablespoon dry basil
  • 1 tablespoon dry oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 tablespoons sea salt
  • 4 teaspoons black pepper, coarse
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons grated garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed shaved ice (or ice water)

Instructions

Add the hog casing to a medium-sized bowl and cover by 4 to 5 inches with cold water, and set it aside.

Cut pork and fat into 1-inch chunks and place them into a bowl, cover them, and put them in the freezer or refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes.

In the meantime, add the fennel, coriander, basil, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, salt, paprika, and sugar to a spice grinder and pulse 10 to 15 times to break down the fennel and coriander a bit. This does not have to be perfect.

Run the cold cubed pork through the food grinder using the medium size dye (3/16” or 4.5mm) into another pan.

Add in all the spices, garlic, and shaved ice, and mix thoroughly.

Fry a small piece of the Italian sausage and taste it to adjust any seasonings, and then place it again in the freezer or refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.

Run some water through the center of the hog casing to rinse everything out.

Attach the hog casing around the sausage filler, tie a knot at the end, run the chilled sausage through the attachment at low speed, and stuff the hog casing. of the sausage and continue stuffing until all the ingredients have been used. Can pack as bulk as well.
Is this a "sweet" italian or a basic italian? I'm looking for the ingredient that makes it sweet. Sugar?

“Sweet” Italian means it has no Chile. That’s the way I understand it anyway. Most of the “sweet “ Italian has basil in it also.
+1 my understanding as well.

I gave up on trying to get seasoning combinations for different sausages.
I just buy a bag that is good for 25# of sausage.
I have Hot and Mild from AC Legg.
I have a few formulas I like but all the italian I tried were fails. I have the Leggs hot italian but have not run it yet.

For sweet I would get Leggs mild italian and add some basil. We use the stuff in the tube.

" Sweet " Italian denotes fennel in the mix . From there it's mild or hot depending on the amount of red pepper or flakes .

All different types of Italian sausage that does not contain fennel , usually known by the region .

Last edited:
I have the Leggs hot italian but have not run it yet.
103 ? It's good . Not super hot but it's there . That's the one I used to make snack sticks out of .
Also added some anise to it to make what I consider " Pizzaria " flavor for pizza .
Makes a good link .

Italian bratwurst from Marianski . Pork , salt , fennel , white pepper . Done deal .

Reactions: zwiller
I may have to breakdown and buy Marianski's book. I'm more of a cliff notes guy though which is why I love this forum :)
I have the book , but always use his web site .
I base everything off 2 1/2 pounds of pork and 18 grams of salt . From there I've done enough of it that I can add the spice profile by eye .
If it's something new to me I'll follow a weight or measure for all of it until I get the hang of it .

You want to try one that is "uniquely" sweet.........here you go. Described as a "Sicilian-style" fresh sausage. Can be stuffed into casings or used as bulk. In this recipe, the "sweet" comes from the anise. Think licorice. Some like it a lot.......some not at all.

5 pounds ground pork butt
5 teaspoons kosher salt
3 teaspoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed (toasting it helps)
1 teaspoon anise seed (start with 1/2 tsp and work up)
crushed red pepper to taste (1 teaspoon would get most peoples' attention......I use little to none)

You want to try one that is "uniquely" sweet.........here you go. Described as a "Sicilian-style" fresh sausage. Can be stuffed into casings or used as bulk. In this recipe, the "sweet" comes from the anise. Think licorice. Some like it a lot.......some not at all.

5 pounds ground pork butt
5 teaspoons kosher salt
3 teaspoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed (toasting it helps)
1 teaspoon anise seed (start with 1/2 tsp and work up)
crushed red pepper to taste (1 teaspoon would get most peoples' attention......I use little to none)
Thanks! I'm not a licorice guy though (unless its a red twizzler or redvine).

I'm not a licorice guy though
That's what sweet Italian is . Comes from the fennel and or the anise .

"Sicilian-style" fresh sausage.
Fantastic looking recipe . I add pecorino romano and white wine . I use that amount of fennel and anise , but for 2 1/2 pounds .

Of all the "Italian" sausage recipes I've tried over the years, this one is my favorite and now my go-to. Do not omit the anise seeds, it is essential to the flavor. Also if you lightly toast the fennel seeds, it brings the essential oils to the surface (lightly is key).

2.2 lbs. well‐fatted pork butt
2 tsp. Kosher Salt (or to taste)
2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp. Crushed Fennel Seed
2 tsp. Coarsely Ground Coriander
2 tsp. Crushed Anise Seed (This is essential.)
1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 cup Ice Water

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky