SV to Grill Drumsticks and Dinner with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
I made some wings for Superbowl and found the Scarbelly Wings recipe. I had the small party wings but I did it anyway injecting each tiny piece of delicious poultry flying devices. It was tedious but as I've learned cooking with intent to please, delicious is in the details. :)
I had never injected any poultry smaller than a turkey until that day but now I'm pumped on the possibilities.

Started with a dozen chicken drumsticks. Injected them with the following:
1/2 cup Tony's Creole butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons basalmic vinegar reduction (can't remember what that was left over from)
2 teaspoons Sirichi sauce
1 splash of bourbon

Seasoned them with a little salt and a little lemon pepper, not too much. It's easy to over season chicken parts.

Put in the sous vide at 158° for 1.5 hours
Had my 18" weber ready with a full stack of Cowboy lump, pushed to 1 side.

About 3-4 minutes each side twice skin up to start so it dried before it hit the heat, assist in the crisp. Cover on for the first two flips at least. Oh yeah, have the grill oiled, I forgot and lost some skin. The 2nd 3 minute flips I did I brushed Soy Vay Very Very Teriyaki on them. I like the carmelized sugar crust and compliments the injection recipe. Move them over to the non-coal side and cover. About 5 minutes more indirect and it's ready.

Sides were the Loaded Yukon Gold Smashed Potatoes (Nolan Ryan's cookbook) and squash tossed in olive oil, salt pepper and garlic and baked with the potatoes.

I start most meals with bacon, this was for the potatoes
96e0EZT.jpg

Off the grill, I had some hickory chips in there but it didn't spend too long on the weber, nice hint though
G6ks6jx.jpg

Close in one the one I realized I hadn't oiled the grate
t3JW2pz.jpg

On the table with sides. That potato dish my wife made was as good as the chicken.
HAPyUwC.jpg

Plated. Didn't last much longer after the picture. Had to add butter to Nolan Ryan's recipe, I guess the guy was trying to be healthy or something.
n8nHb3t.jpg

Reactions: SmokinAl
Looks really good from over here.

Point for sure

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky