SV Chucky 50 hours. (More Tender than Prime Rib!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
SV Chucky 50 hours. (More Tender than Prime Rib!)

I know---That doesn't sound possible!!---I couldn’t believe it myself!!!

A couple weeks ago, a couple of us were discussing longer times in SV for Chuckies.
Then sawhorseray sawhorseray put most of a 30 hour Chucky back in & gave it another 20 hours, for a test, and said it was like Prime Rib!! I figured, “I gotta try that!!”
So here is my Chuck Roast History, since acquiring my Sous Vide Supreme:
I know that I originally made a Chucky with 21 hours, and it was pretty Tender.
Then I did a few at 24 hours, and they were about the same.
Then I did another one at 24 hours & it was pretty much on the tough side, so I figured some chuckles need more time than 24 hours.
So I did the next one for 30 hours, and it was pretty tender, so I figured I got it now.
I did a few more like that for 30 hours, and all was fine.
Then I got to talking with these couple guys, and sawhorseray sawhorseray did one @ 48 hours, and he said it was like Prime Rib.

So here we go again:
I immediately put Mrs Bear on a Chuck Roast Hunt, at Weis Market.
Mrs Bear came home with a "CAB" Chuck Roast just for this experiment. It was $4.99, so she only got 1.
I had told her if they were $3.49 or less, get 3 of them, but only get 1 if they’re higher than that.
I was convinced that about 48 hours was going to make a Chucky Super Tender—Maybe close to Prime Rib.
So she brought it home with the rest of her Groceries, at about 1 PM, and put the rest of the stuff away.
Then I Prepped this 4 pound Chuck Roast, by dumping a pack of “Lipton Beefy Onion Soup” in the bag & Vac-sealing it.
This Dry Soup pack avoids any sucking up of juices by my Vac Sealer, and I got the idea from chopsaw chopsaw a year or more ago. I’ve been using it every time I SV Beef, and it works Great. So in it goes & I set it for 132° at 2 PM.
Over the next 50 hours, whenever either of us goes near my Sous Vide Supreme, we check the Temp, and over this 50 hour period, the Temp in that thing never went below 131.7°, and never went above 132°. I love that thing!!
So every time I woke up during the night, I’d look at the digital clock next to our Bed, to make sure it’s not blinking.
And every time I made a prostate run, I’d go check the SV Temp, since I’m already up.
BTW: I check the clock, because if it’s blinking, that means our electric Shut off for awhile, or at least Blinked off & on.
If it did blink, that would mean my SV shut off. And the power around here shuts off a lot more often than any of the places we have previously lived. I think if a Deer runs by & farts, our electric goes off!!
Well, we made it through the whole 50 hours, and I removed it from the Bath at 4 PM.
I cut the bag open & drained the juice out, and gave the juice to Mrs Bear, to make Gravy with.
Then I dried it off real good & dropped it in one of my real hot Copper Pans with a little bit of Butter, to sear both sides.
I also hit the edges & low spots with my torch, while the pan was searing the big flat sides.
Then I sliced the whole thing up, in about 1/4” thick slices. I snuck a couple small pieces, while slicing, and O-My!!!
I couldn’t believe how Tender those little pieces were!!! I can’t wait to sit down & eat more of this Beef!!!

So Mrs Bear whipped up some Taters Au Gratin, and I had some leftover Onion Rings I got the day before with a TOGO order from Salvatore’s, in Macungie, along side of a Weber Steak Sammy.
I plated up with a small pile of Beef, & my sides, and OMG !!! I could not believe it, but I swear to this. That beef was actually more Tender than any Prime Rib I have ever had in my life!!! That may sound like BS to you, because I can’t believe it myself, and I’m the guy who was eating it. It was Soooo Good!!!

50 hours will be my GOTO time on Chuckies from now on.
Then I packed all the leftover slices in one of our Green containers, and the next few days we had Super Tender Sammies, but I’ll save that part of the story & the rest of the Pictures for my next Thread Posting.

Don’t miss those Sammy Pics, coming Soon!!!

Stay Tuned !!!

And Thanks for dropping by.

Bear

One 3.92 LB "CAB" Chuck Roast @ $19.56:
IMG_4808.jpg

Adding a pack of "Lipton Beefy Onion" Dry Soup Mix:
IMG_4809.jpg

Seasoned, Sealed, and ready for the SV:
IMG_4810.jpg

In the SV Rack & Ready for a long swim:
IMG_4812.jpg

In my Sous Vide Supreme @ 132°:
IMG_4816.jpg

Removed from SV after 50 hours @ 132°:
IMG_4817.jpg

Searing sides in Hot Pan, and getting Sides & Low Spots with My Torch:
IMG_4818.jpg

Slicing at about 1/4" Thick:
IMG_4819.jpg

All Sliced Up:
IMG_4820.jpg

Bear's First Helping---QView of Beef, Taters Au Gratin, and Onion Rings:
IMG_4821.jpg

BearView----Beef Chucky More Tender Than Prime Rib!!!
IMG_4822.jpg

QView of Leftovers, after first 2 Meals:
IMG_4823.jpg

BearView of same:
IMG_4824.jpg

Leftover for future Sammies----Coming Soon----Stay Tuned:
IMG_4825.jpg

Well I sure thought 30 was perfect . The very first one I did was like prime rib .
Looks like you started with a really nice cut of chuck , that's some good lookin beef .

Another great meal at your place . Nice work again ! I'll be trying 50 hours on the next one .

Looks awesome Bear!

50 hours! I don’t think my attention span goes that long, I’d forget what I was making lol.

But again, it looks beautiful, nice sear too!

Like!

Wow Bear, that is one great lookin' Chucky, huge Like! I was tossing around what to get cooking on, I believe you just supplied the perfect answer. I found when I did mine I had to add water to the sous vide twice in 50 hours, gotta keep an eye on that. RAY

Looks great John thanks for sharing this! I saw that post by Ray too and it peaked my curiosity. I might grab one this weekend and give it a try. Think they are on sale for $3.49 lb. Does the beefy onion soup mix make the finished product real salty?

Looks great John thanks for sharing this! I saw that post by Ray too and it peaked my curiosity. I might grab one this weekend and give it a try. Think they are on sale for $3.49 lb. Does the beefy onion soup mix make the finished product real salty?

Thank You John!!
And Thanks for the Like.
That's an excellent Question. I don't add any salt to anything, so if it was even a little salty, I would notice it, and I don't notice any salty flavor.

Bear

50 hours!! I'm with Xray I'd struggle to be that patient and attentive. The final product sure sounds worth it though--and great pics. Can't wait to see the sandwiches--great job!

looks excellent bear, looks like the making of some good meals at the den the next few days.

Looks tasty! Wish we could get those prices on beef. That would be $8.99/pound on sale here. $12.99/pound normally.

Thanks Case!!

Bear

Well I sure thought 30 was perfect . The very first one I did was like prime rib .
Looks like you started with a really nice cut of chuck , that's some good lookin beef .

Another great meal at your place . Nice work again ! I'll be trying 50 hours on the next one .

Thank You Rich!!
Yup, this "CAB" even had some marbling!!
At 30 hours I could cut a piece with a Fork.
After 50 hours, I could cut a whole Stacked Sandwich of Beef with a Fork, with No Effort !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear, unbelievably good looking Chuckie!

Have a question: "Mrs Bear came home with a "CAB" Chuck Roast". What is that and can we get at Sam's? I say "we" I'm still in the rehabilitatation hospital so of no help. But this looks like something Peggy could fairly easy do on her own and bring to me to enjoy!!

You sort of got us onto sous vide with your posts and it turns out fabulous results. Anxious to have her try this!!

Thanks Bear for all you efforts so we can learn from a Master!

Bear, unbelievably good looking Chuckie!

Have a question: "Mrs Bear came home with a "CAB" Chuck Roast". What is that and can we get at Sam's? I say "we" I'm still in the rehabilitatation hospital so of no help. But this looks like something Peggy could fairly easy do on her own and bring to me to enjoy!!

You sort of got us onto sous vide with your posts and it turns out fabulous results. Anxious to have her try this!!

Thanks Bear for all you efforts so we can learn from a Master!

Thank You DW!!
"CAB" stands for "Certified Angus Beef".
I don't go to Sams, but both my Markets carry it "Giant" and "Weis", so I would imagine Sams has it too. I think it's usually about "Choice" or maybe slightly better.

Bear

Looks awesome Bear!

50 hours! I don’t think my attention span goes that long, I’d forget what I was making lol.

But again, it looks beautiful, nice sear too!

Like!

Thank You Xray!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks Great Wow !! 50 hours

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And for the Like.

Bear

Wow Bear, that is one great lookin' Chucky, huge Like! I was tossing around what to get cooking on, I believe you just supplied the perfect answer. I found when I did mine I had to add water to the sous vide twice in 50 hours, gotta keep an eye on that. RAY

This 50 hour Chuck is unbelievable!! They better have a sale soon, so I can do some more. The Hot Roast Beef Sammies are so tasty, and I can throw a pile of meat in there, and just cut right down through it with just a Fork. It's Awesome!!!

As for the evaporation, that's another reason I got this Sous Vide Supreme---It never loses anything on the water level from start to finish.
It cost more than the sticks, but:
1---It looks nice on the counter.
2---Doesn't evaporate at all.
3---Zero Noise, because there's no circulator.
4---No circulator to break down or get anything stuck in.

Bear

50 hours!! I'm with Xray I'd struggle to be that patient and attentive. The final product sure sounds worth it though--and great pics. Can't wait to see the sandwiches--great job!

Thank You Tander!!
Believe Me---It's worth it.
I should be posting the Sammies tomorrow morning.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky