SV-- 51st Wedding Anniversary Dinner (Poor Man’s Prime Rib)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
51st Wedding Anniversary Dinner (Poor Man’s Prime Rib)

A Change of Pace!

We usually have Prime Rib for our Anniversary, but I thought I’d give my Sous Vide Supreme a shot at this one, and I was tired of the Chucky in My Freezer staring at me since back in March.
So I wanted to give it at least 30 hours in my SV, and I had already started thawing it out, so instead of having to wait for it to thaw, and then 30 hours more, I decided to put it in while it was still frozen.
So I put it in @ 136° for 32 hours.
Then I pulled it out, patted it Dry, Dropped it in a Greased Pan to Sear, and I hit the edges & low spots with my Propane Torch to make it Pretty!!
Then I sliced enough up for our Dinner, and Mrs Bear got some Mashed Taters, Gravy, and some Carrots ready, and I grabbed a few slices of Pickled Beets Too, for my plate.
Then the next Morning I had some leftover pieces of Beef with my Eggs, And for the next few days I had leftover Beef for my Dinners, but I’ll show that in my next Thread, in a few days.

BTW: Our Anniversary is actually Dec. 27th, but due to so many "Get Togethers" between Dec 24th and Jan 3rd, we always move it earlier or later.

Thanks for Dropping By!!

Bear

One Frozen Chuck Roast from 3-22-19:
IMG_4447.jpg

In the Rack, ready for SV @ 136°:
IMG_4448.jpg

Fresh out of SV, after 32 hours @ 136°:
IMG_4453.jpg

Searing in Pan, with torch getting Low Spots:
IMG_4454.jpg

Same thing---Other Side:
IMG_4455.jpg

Enough Sliced for Dinner for 2:
IMG_4456.jpg

Bear's Dinner---Sliced Chucky & Mashed Taters with Gravy, Glazed Carrots, and Pickled Beet Slices:
IMG_4459.jpg

Sliced the rest of the Chucky for future Sammies:
IMG_4460.jpg

A Few Days Worth of Sammy Filler:
IMG_4461.jpg

Next Morning's Breakfast:

IMG_4463.jpg

Beautiful Bear, perfection on a plate! I've taken to dropping ribeye steaks into the sous vide pot right out of the freezer every time, 4-5 hours. Like, RAY

Reactions: zwiller
Happy anniversary to you & Linda!
I'm sure after 51 years of marriage, anything you make will be greatly appreciated!
And it sure looks good!!
Al

Looks great John! Nice looking chucky and dinner! My wife and I had our anniversary on 12/18 but you have quite a few years on us!

Looks Great as usual Don't know how Linda has put up with you for that many years !!
Happy Anniversary my friend, We are not far behind you.

Gary

Reactions: hoity toit
Looks like an excellent anniversary meal. Congrats on the 27th.
We just did the 26th on 12/10/19

Great job Bear!

And Happy Early Anniversary!!

LIKE!

John

Thank You John!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Beautiful Bear, perfection on a plate! I've taken to dropping ribeye steaks into the sous vide pot right out of the freezer every time, 4-5 hours. Like, RAY

Thank You Ray!

Bear

looks great bear. looks like you'll have a couple meals out of that. Happy 51st! to you and the Mrs.

Bear that looks great!! My wife baught me a sous vide a month ago........its wrapped and under the tree lol. Ive been having dreams about the food I'll be cooking with it. I may have to try and do a Chuck roast first . ...51 years! How awesome is that! Happy anniversary to you and your wife!

51st Wedding Anniversary Dinner (Poor Man’s Prime Rib)

A Change of Pace!

We usually have Prime Rib for our Anniversary, but I thought I’d give my Sous Vide Supreme a shot at this one, and I was tired of the Chucky in My Freezer staring at me since back in March.
So I wanted to give it at least 30 hours in my SV, and I had already started thawing it out, so instead of having to wait for it to thaw, and then 30 hours more, I decided to put it in while it was still frozen.
So I put it in @ 136° for 32 hours.
Then I pulled it out, patted it Dry, Dropped it in a Greased Pan to Sear, and I hit the edges & low spots with my Propane Torch to make it Pretty!!
Then I sliced enough up for our Dinner, and Mrs Bear got some Mashed Taters, Gravy, and some Carrots ready, and I grabbed a few slices of Pickled Beets Too, for my plate.
Then the next Morning I had some leftover pieces of Beef with my Eggs, And for the next few days I had leftover Beef for my Dinners, but I’ll show that in my next Thread, in a few days.

BTW: Our Anniversary is actually Dec. 27th, but due to so many "Get Togethers" between Dec 24th and Jan 3rd, we always move it earlier or later.

Thanks for Dropping By!!

Bear

One Frozen Chuck Roast from 3-22-19:
View attachment 424546

In the Rack, ready for SV @ 136°:
View attachment 424547

Fresh out of SV, after 32 hours @ 136°:
View attachment 424548

Searing in Pan, with torch getting Low Spots:
View attachment 424549

Same thing---Other Side:
View attachment 424550

Enough Sliced for Dinner for 2:
View attachment 424551

Bear's Dinner---Sliced Chucky & Mashed Taters with Gravy, Glazed Carrots, and Pickled Beet Slices:
View attachment 424552

Sliced the rest of the Chucky for future Sammies:
View attachment 424553

A Few Days Worth of Sammy Filler:
View attachment 424554

Next Morning's Breakfast:

View attachment 424555
Looks tasty! Also big like for the beets and carrots! Love them.

Happy Anniversary John. We're on our 34th. When I read you title I said to myself: No he wouldn't do Spam for his anniversary -- would he. Happy to see you did a good looking chuckie. I bet mamma bear was happy with that feast.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky