Super Bowl Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dave ...What did you Rub the Taters with?...JJ

Dave ...What did you Rub the Taters with?...JJ

Do you put a rub on the potatoes??

These are basically smoked potatoes with an herb and spice rub.

This is from my notes. One of our forum members came up with this. Meowy?? Of course this different than just placing them in the drip pan.

INGREDIENTS:
• 8 baking potatoes (Yukon gold's are good for this)
• 1 cup bacon grease, softened, not melted (can use butter)
• HERB MIX:
• 2 tablespoons ground sage
• 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
• 2 tablespoons dried parsley
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons paprika

PREPARATION:
Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times. Place on hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until soft when poked.

** When I made these, my potatoes took longer. I omitted the 'foil step' and the potatoes were crunchy on the outside. These were the hit of the party. I'll definitely make them again.  I just used butter, instead of bacon grease. I'll leave them on for up to 4 hours. Depends on the smoker temps.

Thanks Dave sounds good...JJ

I just squirt some butter, add some minced garlic and a beef bullion cube to the onion.

I do the something similar, I core out an onion leaving just enough in the bottom to hold together then jam it with bouillon cubes (chicken, beef, or veggie) and smoke or bake it, when done cut it up and serve as an app. Very addicting!

Everything looks great!
drool.gif

The brisket looks great as does the entire meal!  Very nice job indeed.

If you want to add a little company to that smoked onion, try a head or two of garlic as well.  If you've never had smoked garlic, you're really missing something.  They come out almost tasting like candy with a small kick....and make a great accompaniment to a meat dish.

-Salt

Sorry i'm late to the game, I just found this. Do you wrap the onion in foil or just place it on the rack? It all looks good.
thumb1.gif
Sorry I missed this the first go around. Pulled up the post to show another member. You want to create a stove pipe effect, so just envelope the onion and leave a little opening at top.

I am new to smoking and just bought a 4 lb. brisket. What do you mean by point and flat? Was the brisket sliced in half and cooked as two pieces? Sorry for my ignorance but I have never done one before. Thanks for any advice you can provide. Your pictures look great.

Wow that looks superb.  Nice job on that one.  I've never tried separating the brisket prior to the cook like that.  I usually smoke the whole thing and then slice through the fat line separating the two.  I may just have to try it your way next time.

I am new to smoking and just bought a 4 lb. brisket. What do you mean by point and flat? Was the brisket sliced in half and cooked as two pieces? Sorry for my ignorance but I have never done one before. Thanks for any advice you can provide. Your pictures look great.
 Usually you will only see flats in that size. A "Full Packer" has both Point and Flat. All in one piece. 13 1/2 lbs.  Since I have a GOSM Vertical, I had to cut it in two to get it to fit in the smoker. This one was not truly separated into a true Flat and Point. Chef Jimmy suggested just cutting it straight in half. It worked great.

Thanks for the advice. I just bought my first 16 pound brisket. I was a little nervous about it until I read your forum. I think I'll cut it in half as well. Love the idea of the potatoes and onions idea. I will add some garlic cloves as well. I have roasted garlic cloves in the oven with some olive oil before but never smoked them. I'm looking forward to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky