Sunday brisky!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natej

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Usually my better half isnt a fan of brisket at all and never has been.. Well, the last brisket (my best yet) completely blew her away and I could see in her face that she had one of those "Oh my goodness" moments.

She came through the door yesterday with 2 pieces of brisket and asked me to do the exact same thing as last time.

Coarse salt and pepper with just a smidge of granulated garlic and thats all. Smoked between 270 - 300.. I rub the night before just for convenience sake and smoked over redgum

The offset cooker I find gives alot cleaner flavor than my UDS.. I also MUCH prefer the bark texture and flavor

One thing im doing differently is smoking unwrapped the whole time and pulling off right when the brisket is very near fully probe tender in the flat.. wrap in foil with no venting heat and into a cooler for minimum 2 hours.

Here are some pics.. it tasted just as good as the last!

20180120_193253.jpg
20180120_193649.jpg
20180121_135147.jpg
20180121_183815.jpg
20180121_183834.jpg

That's a juicy brisket. Nice job.

Point for sure

Chris

Wow! Are you kidding me!
That brisket looks fantastic!
Sooooo juicy!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Nate That is a fantastic looking Brisket!! I think it squirted me in the eye so juicy.That Red Gum gives a beautiful color smoke ring Points
Richie

Natj, that brisket totally caught my eye, and I hate to say this in here, but I'm a KCBS judge and some people don't like me to say that but, "Whatever".
That brisket looks sooo darn juicey, A+.
I have to say just garlic, S&P, sometimes simpler is better.
I also, really love and a big fan of wrapping and putting in a cooler to rest for at least an hour.
You know what your doing, now keep the misses happy!

Wow! Are you kidding me!
That brisket looks fantastic!
Sooooo juicy!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Thankyou sir!

Nate That is a fantastic looking Brisket!! I think it squirted me in the eye so juicy.That Red Gum gives a beautiful color smoke ring Points
Richie

Cheers mate! Haha yeah even when I sliced it and it sat on the board for a bit, the slices were still super moist. I love redgum, it burns well and leaves a good coal bed.

Damn dude! Nice brisket for sure!

Cheers my friend!

Brisket perfection! That would convert a vegan.

Haha! Thanks mate

Beautiful... like! B

Thanks mate!

Natj, that brisket totally caught my eye, and I hate to say this in here, but I'm a KCBS judge and some people don't like me to say that but, "Whatever".
That brisket looks sooo darn juicey, A+.
I have to say just garlic, S&P, sometimes simpler is better.
I also, really love and a big fan of wrapping and putting in a cooler to rest for at least an hour.
You know what your doing, now keep the misses happy!

thanks for your kind words! I've never entered a competition before always just been a backyarder.

I've found every time I take fully to 100% probing like butter then into a cooler it turns out crumbly and a tad dry but recently taking it to just when its softening up then resting in a cooler for a couple hours.. delivers brisket like this

I'm far from a pro, and I never won anything competing, except for the fun and meeting great people.
But I've scored respectable, and I have to say that my scores in tenderness, have always been my strong point.
I always take my meat out, at least 5 degrees before doneness and placed in cool to rest and come up to temp.
You know what your doing, keep it up.

Reactions: natej
That is a brisket you cut in half? 2 pieces you did at once ? The pic of the flat and point together looks really juicy.. Nice for sandwiches or dinner with potatoes and gravy.

Cheers mate, in Aus they sell whole packers or just sections of brisket in cryo.. so these were just 2 pieces that the mrs bought home

Yeah we usually eat brisket with mash potatoes or potato salad

Oi Mate!Looks like you've got the smoker tuned and running well! And now you gotta cook'em like that every time says the wife :p

Cheers

Hahaha! Yeah she said now im not allowed to do brisket any differently.

Got her purring like a kitten now, sweet spot is around 280 - 300 she will happily cruise along in that range all day with just adding 2 splits every 45 mins or so and the temp is within 3 - 5 degrees across %80 of the grate. The cleaner smoke flavor from an offset combusting wood is beautiful

Rings R Us, good eye my friend, I missed that one on the split of the flat & point.

Got her purring like a kitten now, sweet spot is around 280 - 300 she will happily cruise along in that range all day with just adding 2 splits every 45 mins or so
We are talkin about the brisket right. :eek:

natej, I've never interacted with some many friendly from "Down Under" since I joined this web site.
My son in-law was born down under, and my daughter and him travel there a lot, but that's about it, and that's all I know or can say, except that you all from "Down Under" are very nice friendly people.

It is funny, I would have never of thought that neighbors like you, from Australia were into this kind of "Stuff" for a lack of a better word.

Hmmm, gonna have to have a long talk with my son in-law. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky