storing bacon fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

invader q

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I've got a lot of recipes that use bacon fat. It seems like I need the stuff a lot when I'm not cooping up a bunch of bacon. How long will the stuff store? Do you just put it in a clean jar in the fridge?

Thanks!

I keep the overflow in the freezer, but always have a couple cans in the fridge.
Edit: forgot to address what you asked about container. I just use cleaned soda pop cans with the top cut off. Cover them with plastic wrap and a rubber band.

Yep that is the way the elders did it and always worked for them.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I don't like about the jars is that it's hard to get everything out, not to mention clean when you're done. I like the pop cans because I can set them in a hot fryer to soften the edges, then flip 'em over and dump the whole load out. Then pitch 'em when they're empty.

For my entire life, my Mom always kept a bacon tin with filter in the cabinet. Each time she'd fry bacon she'd pour off the grease into there and stick it back into the cupboard. I suspect she washed it occasionally, but it never saw refrigeration and she used from it for everything from beans to cornbread, etc.

I have always kept it in a jar w/ lid in the fridge and use it when i need it and when i make bacon, i add to it.

My grandmom kept a mason jar of it on the counter.... used it all the time... it had a lid on it but it never went in the fridge... i have some in a coffee can... gotta let it cool before ya put the plastic lid on tho....

My mom did the same thing. I use a porcelain jar that was made for bacon drippings, it has a filter built in the top. I pour all my drippings into the filter and and I end up with clean bacon grease in the bottom. Mine has never seen refrigeration either. It just sits on the counter top next to the stove.

same here........mom and grandmother, used a van camp's pork and bean can......on the stove...........fried tators.........used that bacon grease........any thing that needed frying.......didn't use no veggie oil......or canola, or peanut........good ol bacon grease

yup,always have on hand here-but I do keep in the fridge( bugs & critters)flying things not roaches.heck I think we all grew up on bacon grease.couldn't live without it

Wow, you guys are bringing back some memories. My mom used a glass peanut butter jar on the counter. Never saw it in the fridge. Don't know if it was ever empty enough to be washed.
icon_smile.gif

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky