• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WhoDat985

Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
Is there a sticky that someone has made on does and don’t in building a smoke house ? I read through about 12 pages of this thread last night and didn’t get any answers. There’s a lot of info here can be overwhelming. I know what kind of smoke I want to build. Small house with a metal smoke box 3-4 foot away I will never cold smoke. I read that the fire box should be a certain distance away. Pretty sure that’s not for the type I want. In a house like I want how hot can one get a house like this ? Does that depend on ventilation? Woods I see a lot made with cedar some say they would only build with cedar. Can you use pine ? Are any other kind of wood. Sure these questions have already been asked sorry I’m in the planning stages and still learning and getting info. Don’t be to hard on me

I am in the midst of building a smoke house myself when I get time off. 1 thing I have learned from past exp. is the burner set up for inside of the smoke house, Have a safety shut off on it if the flame goes out so you don't have a gas build up inside and blow it up. There are also stories of it I believe on here as well. I am setting mine up to do both hot and cold smokes so I may have an inside heat source as well. I am looking at http://www.alliedkenco.com for the gas end of it to do the interior heat. Amazon also has a good selection as well. Keep us posted.

5UbW83
Could this only be used as a cold smoker ?

If you are speaking of a wood fired smoker... 3-6' away for a fire box is perfectly fine... There are a few details for controlling the heat and air flow... Check out my "drawing" and feel free to ask questions about any of it.... Dave
............ SMOKEHOUSE SMOKE PIPE TEE.jpg

Daveomak in your drawing if you’d close the damper to allow the heat and smoke get to the smoke house how hot would you say you could get your smoke house.

How do you insert a picture I would like to show y’all what I have in mind

Last edited:
0993C46F-383E-410F-84E8-18ADB76D66EF.png
This is what I’m thinking about building. Will this hot are just used for cold smoking​

Can someone tell me roughly how hot a smokehouse like the one above this post could get. Are is it used for cold smoking only

You should be able to get temps around 250-300... Cold smoking may be a problem as I don't see any way to add cool air to it.. I can't tell if there is an upper air inlet to the firebox.. There should be...

Thanks Dave. That’s exactly the info I needed. Now time to start getting material to build one. Just wasn’t sure it would get hot enough. Don’t plan on cold smoking.

Well, You will want to cold smoke... I promise... It provides unmatched quality in many cuts of meat...
That smokehouse does need auxiliary air inlets.. for a quality smoke...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky