Sticky Chinese BBQ Pork Belly (Char siu)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Doing another belly cook/bbq

Thick cut belly
spb4.jpg

My items for the marinade.
spb1.jpg

Once mixed well prepare for the pork.
spb2.jpg

Im going for an overnight.
spb3.jpg

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese Shaoxing wine (rice vinegar or a dry sherry can be used instead)
  • 2 tablespoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3/4 teaspoon red food colouring (optional for that beautiful red colour)
  • 1 ⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
  • 6 pork belly/spare ribs
  • 1 shallot , to garnish (opt)

Additional Glaze (Optional):
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese wine (Shaoxing -- or dry sherry)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon red food colouring.
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, wine, honey, sugar, garlic, colouring (if using) and spice powder in a shallow bowl. Whisk well to combine. Pour half of the sauce into a jug and reserve for later. Add the pork into the bowl with the remaining sauce. Rotate to cover completely and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours, or cover and refrigerate overnight for best results.
  • After marinading, preheat oven to grill/broil settings on medium heat (176°C | 350°F). Drain pork and discard the marinade. Line a baking pan with baking/parchment paper or aluminium foil. Place pork onto pan and grill/broil for 30 minutes on one side, basting two or three times with the reserved marinade. Rotate with tongs and baste again with the marinade twice again while grilling/broiling.
  • Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  • If you like additional glaze, combine all of the (extra) glaze ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened (keep your eye on it as it can burn easily if the heat is too high). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
  • Cut pork into thick slices to serve. Serve over steamed rice and/or vegetables with the extra glaze

Have you used the glaze for jerky? Wife's been bugging me for a sticky jerky and that just might be what I'll try.

I have not used the glaze for jerky but i bet its good.

Thanks everyone for the likes.
And
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO Y'ALL

Reactions: pc farmer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky