Stick Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great what is the secret to keeping the ends closed and not tying them?? I know I know cant give up all your little treasure secrets but just this once please
th_crybaby2.gif

Just put a bit of meat in the casing, pinch it there and the meat will hold the casing closed, then stuff away holding the pinch so the stuffing wont shoot the meat outda end.

I just get to lazy to tie the ends off. is all
icon_eek.gif

Rick,

With the #1 cure, I take it these don't have to be kept in the fridge?  What's the expected shelf life (not withstanding them getting eaten quickly as these look great!).

Rick,

With the #1 cure, I take it these don't have to be kept in the fridge?  What's the expected shelf life (not withstanding them getting eaten quickly as these look great!).
Your looking at about 4-7 days on the counter providing you dont keep them in a zip baggy. They shelf good in a plastic or glass container with holes in the lid.

@ DanBono

NFPDM acts as a binder and slight flavor enhancer. I opted to deviate and went with Sako (buttermilk powder) same as fermento but way cheaper.

Last edited:
The recipe looks great and the results even better. My one question is that is there really a need for the liquid smoke? What does it do for the flavor when you have hickory salt and the natural smoke from the smoking unit. I bought the supposedly better quality liquid smoke from one of the sponsor/vendors and I see very little difference in taste than the brand you buy in the grocery store. It just does not taste natural to me and with your note next to it in the recipe I was wondering if it is needed to get a certain taste. Thanks mds51

Rick,

You write
[h5]Upon reaching the IT hang or rack the sticks to bloom,[/h5]
What does Bloom mean?

R

Rick,

You write
[h5]Upon reaching the IT hang or rack the sticks to bloom,[/h5]
What does Bloom mean?

R
BLOOMING: After the sausage is cooled in cold water it is allowed to remain at room temp. for drying. This allows for a darker color or the sausage. 2-3 hours is usually sufficient time. Refridgerate after blooming.

Last edited:
Wow!  Your pictures look great!   This looks like another thing I’ll be making soon. Thanks for the recipe..  

Rick, I read where you tried the Hickory Salt as a test.  Could you taste the difference because of the salt?  Would you use it again or just use regular salt?    

Take care of that shoulder…

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky