STEAK...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...it's what's for supper. I had planned to grill a couple of ribeyes for supper today, but Fred, or at least his advance team, has been knocking on the door and it has rained almost all day. So firing up the grill is out, time to resort to plan 'B'. First things first, though. Scrubbed some baking potatoes, gave them an herb infused EVOO bath, and dressed them with some coarse salt. Aluminum foil coat and they're ready for a 400℉ oven for the duration...
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg

While I'm waiting, let's make a salad. Romaine, spinach, cukes, radishes, carrots, and tomatoes...
thumbnail.jpg

Well it's pouring down rain, but I still got to cook the steaks. So I drag my fish fryer out into the garage and grab my cast iron skillet, I'm going to pan fry them. Ribeyes are seasoned with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper...
thumbnail (4).jpg
20210816_165628.jpg

A little bacon grease in the skillet and onto the fryer. Get it hot and time for the steaks...
thumbnail (6).jpg
thumbnail20.jpg

Couple 3 minutes or so then a flip. Few more minutes and they're done, time to let them take a break for a while...
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (10).jpg

We like sauted mushrooms and onions. Simply EVOO, couple of TBSP of butter, salt and pepper. Once they're mostly done, I add in a couple of TBSP of Worcestershire sauce and let it reduce to basically nothing. You don't see it, but you can definitely taste it...
thumbnail (8).jpg

Because I really like them, I roasted some fresh okra again. No pics, but just drizzled in EVOO, coarse salt and fresh ground pepper and into the oven @425℉ to get a little color, about 20 minutes. Time to eat now...
20210816_175617.jpg

Maybe Fred will get out of town in a day or so and I can fire up the grill again...

Heck yessss There Smoke! Good thing I can’t walk through this screen, or I’d be hat in hand and begging for a plate. Excellent!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Beautiful looking meal! It's been a long day but by the time I got to the end of your post I realized who the heck Fred is... my bad lol!

Ryan

Beautiful looking meal! It's been a long day but by the time I got to the end of your post I realized who the heck Fred is... my bad lol!

Ryan
If we were only neighbors! I’ll let you entertain Fred though.
LOL :emoji_grinning:. Living in South Carolina, we're used to these storms, well as used to them as anyone can get. It rained all day, most of the night, and is raining now, but Fred is supposed to be out of here tomorrow. Just thankful that he isn't a hurricane and REALLY showing his behind...

Thank you for the kind words...

Beautiful dish! Steak looks delicious - especially sear. Love to sear my steaks on CI....
Thank yo very much...
Heck yessss There Smoke! Good thing I can’t walk through this screen, or I’d be hat in hand and begging for a plate. Excellent!
LOL...No begging necessary, you'd be more than welcomed at my table...
Looks good , steals and sear in cast iron frying , is great, use mine all the time

David
Thank you, David. I like to use the cast iron, too, but I had my heart set on some grill/smoke flavor, but Fred had other plans...
Great write up…and some great looking steaks/meal!
Thank you, yankee. I try to cook simply, with simple ingredients, and simple techniques that anyone can duplicate. When I worked, attention to details and relaying those details was extremely important. I probably go a little overboard with them, but it's my nature. I don't want any unanswered questions just because I left out some details...
OMG YUM! God I love steak! You cooked them perfectly!
Thank you, Sandy...
Really nice cook. Looks absolutely delicious!
Thank you, Colin...

great looking meal, i think we're getting the remains of fred wed. and thursday up here.
Thank you, Jim. So far, Fred has been more bark than bite. Not too much wind, just rain with more forecast for today and into tonight. The worst wind, 25-30 mph, is forecast here for late tonight and tomorrow morning as Fred makes his exit. But you know those weather guys, they got to pump it up. Stay safe my friend...

Great job GS, I'll take a bit of everything except the shrooms.

Point for sure
Chris

Those Rib Steaks were beautiful. Really hard to beat the uniform brown sear of Cast Iron...JJ

Great job GS, I'll take a bit of everything except the shrooms.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you, Chris. My son-in-law doesn't like mushrooms, either, it's a texture thing with him. But my daughter loves them, and she's a daddy's girl, so you know who wins that battle :emoji_wink:
Those Rib Steaks were beautiful. Really hard to beat the uniform brown sear of Cast Iron...JJ
Thank you, JJ. I love the cast iron, but I was really looking forward to the sear from some lump. Fred had other ideas, though...

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Now that is a fine looking meal!
I still like my steaks over wood or charcoal, but you can’t beat a good ribeye in a cast iron pan, basted with butter.
Great job!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky