Stand-alone smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
I started a smoke generator using pcs from a previous project I never finished. The wood or sawdust will be heated and maintained in a container at 700 deg using a PID. Thanks to glenwillits for the pid control details idea.

glenwillits

Attachments

• Smoker - valves.jpg
    Smoker - valves.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: DRKsmoking
interesting, 700 Deg. now that is hot enough to burn most woods.

David
Correct, but I'm not adding oxygen for combustion, keeping it in a pan with holes in the top to allow smoke to escape. I want to have the smoke temperature around 700, which is supposed to be ideal - from what I have read. I will experiment with different temperatures to find the best flavour my family likes.

I'm having fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I tried it out yesterday and had the thermal couple wired backwards so it didn't work. I took a guestimate on the temperature and used two small chunks of hickory. Lots of white smoke that eventually turned blue. My wife liked the ribs, kids loved the smoke flavour but I couldn't eat them.

It got up to 375c, 700f quickly. The cheap roasting pan warped out of shape, I'm going to need a cast iron pot. I will need to relocate the solenoid because it gets very hot under the bottom.

I basically tacked everything together with small screws. I will use larger screws once everything is finalized.

Attachments

• Control Box.jpeg
    Control Box.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Roasting Pan.jpeg
    Roasting Pan.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Valve.jpeg
    Valve.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Burner.jpeg
    Burner.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 19
Nice work! I’ve done a similar build that has worked fantastic. It is reliable, repeatable and holds temps within a couple of degrees. The external smoke generator is great for low temp smokes like salmon and cheese. I added a convection fan out of an old oven that is a game changer. No hot/cold spots in the cabinet and the smoke is distributed evenly throughout the cabinet.

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1163.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: NewBuilder
Nice work! I’ve done a similar build that has worked fantastic. It is reliable, repeatable and holds temps within a couple of degrees. The external smoke generator is great for low temp smokes like salmon and cheese. I added a convection fan out of an old oven that is a game changer. No hot/cold spots in the cabinet and the smoke is distributed evenly throughout the cabinet.

View attachment 667773

View attachment 667775
I love how everything is tightly packaged. I spent hours working out how I would package everything - it made sense at the planning stage but it could be a lot better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky