Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce & BBQ sauce time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce & BBQ sauce time. Using all my tomatoes that were frozen all year long. One big pot going to steam them and help remove the skins. Getting the the Johnny apple sauce maker going to finish off the job. Going to be a long two day project. Tomorrow will start canning.
20231012_104336.jpg
20231012_104341.jpg

That is a much larger project with sauce than I have attempted. 👍
I make my pizza sauce starting with a #10 can of tomatoes.
BBQ sauces even smaller than that.

Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce & BBQ sauce time. Using all my tomatoes that were frozen all year long. One big pot going to steam them and help remove the skins. Getting the the Johnny apple sauce maker going to finish off the job. Going to be a long two day project. Tomorrow will start canning.
View attachment 678313View attachment 678314
what kind or "maters" you grow? I spend the money on a #10 can of San Marzano's when I make sauce. and now that my basil plants are healthy again I'm due for batch

LOL
Yes it is a big pot but remember most is just water that will be gone after a day or so of slow boil. Had a lot of different kinds of tomatoes that I collected over last year and this year. Mostly Roma Tomatoes but even Cherry Tomatoes.
I'll give it a couple of days on the stove and see where I'm at with consistency then divide for Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce or BBQ sauce. Each will have its own spices added.
Could have run the skins and seeds through again but I'm calling it a day for now. Lots to clean up LOL
20231012_113737.jpg
20231012_115229.jpg
20231012_125250.jpg
20231012_125509.jpg

Not sure on the size but it came with the outdoor propane turkey fryer I bought about ten years ago.
You know one of those ones every year someone burns down their deck from to much oil in the pot.
Never did a turkey in it yet LOL.

Reactions: jcam222
LOL
Yes it is a big pot but remember most is just water that will be gone after a day or so of slow boil. Had a lot of different kinds of tomatoes that I collected over last year and this year. Mostly Roma Tomatoes but even Cherry Tomatoes.
I'll give it a couple of days on the stove and see where I'm at with consistency then divide for Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce or BBQ sauce. Each will have its own spices added.
Could have run the skins and seeds through again but I'm calling it a day for now. Lots to clean up LOL
View attachment 678319View attachment 678320View attachment 678321View attachment 678322
One heck of a project, can't wait to see the results!

Question. Would a Vitamix blender really help with this project? since it could obliterate the tomato skin and seeds leaving no trace of them and then you boil all that down?

Just curious, because I know it's made my life so much more pleasant making enchilada sauces, pastes, etc. (out of peppers) since I DO NOT have to do any straining of any kind of skins and seeds :D

Guessing it would do the trick but not owning one I have no idea.

Guessing it would do the trick but not owning one I have no idea.
I can report 1st hand that when rehydrating peppers and needing to turn them into a sauce or a paste, it does the job where there is ZERO skin or seed left to be seen. My straining days are over!

Hell I almost threw 4 whole limes in it yesterday vs zesting and squeezing for my fajita lime chicken marinade on the chicken breast I grilled today lol.

I was like "WHY AM I ZESTING?!?!" but since I was 3/4 done I decided to just finish zesting and squeezing. Next time I'll just obliterate the limes into a paste and be done, but it may be REALLY strong lime flavor so I will have to experiment with it to know how many pounds of chicken work with 1 obliterated limes worth of lime paste hahaha. Fun experiments! :D

Had the pot on simmer all night. This morning I got it back up to a good boil and we are getting to the consistency I am looking for. Pot is down to about half now and will not be long till done with the boil off of water.
20231013_111440.jpg

Reactions: tallbm and 02ebz06
Added my spices, Most used spices for spaghetti sauce. Nothing special added. Lots of garlic, yellow onion, green pepper, basil, italian spices. A jar of Basil Pesto and thats pretty much it. Now to let it simmer over night and it should be good to start canning it.

Reactions: tallbm and 02ebz06
Well it has been a 3 day adventure but it seems finally done.
Added 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to each quart jar plus one teaspoon of salt. Then added my heated sauce to 15 jars. Just doing a hot water bath for 35 minutes for my area. No need to pressure cook, just hot water bath.

20231014_092713.jpg

Second batch waiting in hot water so there is no shock by dropping them into boiling water.
20231014_092725.jpg

15 Quarts done and now cooling down. Will sit there over night then stored downstairs in cold storage.
20231014_105950.jpg

Haley says are we done yet, is it time for our walk LOL
20231013_151221.jpg

wow, that sounds like an impressive project with all those sauces.

Speaking of long days, I once had a hectic day cooking a big batch of fried rice. The next day, I was wondering about the best way to reheat fried rice. It turned out that using a wok or skillet was a game-changer, keeping it from getting mushy. Hope that tip helps you on your saucy adventure.
Yes having the right tools for the job is a must. I bought a Cast Iron wok many years ago and love it. One of the best investments in cookware I have made for sure.
20231016_170233.jpg
20231016_170306.jpg
20231016_170318.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky