Sous vide and sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Homers1951

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Hi all. I am looking at making some kind of smoked sausage when I return from holidays next week. I plan on mixing, casing, linking, smoking for 1 to 2 hours. I have had mixed results bringing the IT of the sausage to 153 while in the smoker. I have tried cooking it in the oven but because of limited space it takes forever. My links will be about 35 to 38 mm in size. Now comes the sous vide part. Ziplock bags ok? or Vac seal? How many per bag? How many lbs in a big pot? And, how long? Thanks. Barry

Since the sous vide will be your finish method..... You might consider colder smoke for longer, before using SV to reach the target temp. I do this with bologna. Oh, zipper bags work fine.

This is how I do a lot of sausage. I get 2-4 hours in the smoke. I never run the smoker any higher than 140°. But I do not put mine in bags. I drop them straight into the bath.

Reactions: chopsaw
H1951, I do this method all time with great results. I vac seal just to make sure I have no leaks.

I have had mixed results bringing the IT of the sausage to 153 while in the smoker.

My links will be about 35 to 38 mm in size.

I've started doing a smoke / cook for that size sausage . Like Marianski uses .
Same as Sowsage Sowsage mentioned in post #6 .
I smoke to desired color , then in the SV @ 145 for 1 1/2 hours for that size casing .
I don't bag these for a short soak . Just how I do it . It will wash the color some , but it comes back after a rest on the counter .
I go straight into the SV after smoking .
1639317227220.jpeg
Out of the SV and rested .
20210111_170359.jpg
Cut shot .Great texture .
20210129_080046.jpg

I've started doing a smoke / cook for that size sausage . Like Marianski uses .
Same as Sowsage Sowsage mentioned in post #6 .
I smoke to desired color , then in the SV @ 145 for 1 1/2 hours for that size casing .
I don't bag these for a short soak . Just how I do it . It will wash the color some , but it comes back after a rest on the counter .
View attachment 518827
Out of the SV and rested .
View attachment 518828
Cut shot .Great texture .
Thanks to all that responded as this will give me much more confidence in trying it. This site is fantastic. Barry

This is how I do a lot of sausage. I get 2-4 hours in the smoke. I never run the smoker any higher than 140°. But I do not put mine in bags. I drop them straight into the bath.
Do either of you get any residue/oils on the internals of the circulator, or do any specific cleaning of the circulator? I get hard water deposits around one internal clip on my circulator, so I either add vinegar to the bath or run the circulator in a 1.5 pint mason jar with vinegar water.

I bag my bologna logs and finish them in a sous vide bath and those come out fine, but I like the idea of leaving links loose in the bath.

But I do not put mine in bags. I drop them straight into the bath.
This is how I usually finish thinner type of sausages like Polish sausage or kielbasa. Thicker types of sausages like bologna or others starting at 60 mm thick and higher - I usually vack seal before SV because thicker sausage stay in the water longer before it reaches right temperature and I don't want to loose smoky flavor....

Do either of you get any residue/oils on the internals of the circulator, or do any specific cleaning of the circulator? I get hard water deposits around one internal clip on my circulator, so I either add vinegar to the bath or run the circulator in a 1.5 pint mason jar with vinegar water.
Yes , sometimes . I only leave unbagged for shorter soaks . I had an idea of brown and serve breakfast sausage . I used cellulose casings unbagged . The casings were 26 mm , but I didn't have them stuffed to that size , but used the time for 26 . If that makes sense . Cooked most of the flavor out of them .
I use an old flower vase to clean mine .

20210125_123413.jpg

I bag my bologna logs and finish them in a sous vide bath and those come out fine, but I like the idea of leaving links loose in the bath.
I use these water proof high barrier casings for SV cooked large diameter stuff . This is cotto salami , but I have used it for bologna too . No bag needed .
20181129_102759.jpg
I recently did a poached on the stove cook / finish .
176 degree water for 30 minutes . I think I like that the best .

I use these water proof high barrier casings for SV cooked large diameter stuff . This is cotto salami , but I have used it for bologna too . No bag needed .
Your vase looks just like the 1-1/2 pint mason jars I use for cleaning.

The high barrier casings must not be the same as the mahogany fibrous casings? My package says fibrous casings allow moisture, air, and smoke to penetrate the casing. I cold smoke my bologna so the internal temp is often low when they come out of the smoker.... I start off my water bath at 125° and ramp it up in a couple of stages over an hour to 154°. I use the Doug Baldwin chart so my time in the SV will match the pasteurization time.
xyfBzEK.jpg

Before I got my SV I used an electric roaster for poaching. I had to make slight adjustments on the dial to maintain160° water (sometimes even turning it off for 5 or 6 minutes at a time), but it was workable.

Reactions: uncle eddie
If I smoke bologna I use the cloth bags.
The high barrier are water proof non smoke casings .

I have hard water here. Its like liquid rock!. I typically run the unit in a small container after a cook with water and vinager. I sometimes see a bit of oil/fat in the cooking water when not bagged but not enough to cause any concern.

I’ve finished off a few batches of sausage using my SV. I tried bagging it before but it was a bigger hassle than it was worth, so I just put the links directly in the hot water.

Here’s what the water looks like:
171846D9-4E28-4EDD-9DF7-9FA628D4D57D.jpeg

I clean the circulator after and have had no problems. I’ve often thought about buying a second cheaper unit just dedicated for sausage making.

Reactions: uncle eddie
I have hard water here. Its like liquid rock!. I typically run the unit in a small container after a cook with water and vinager. I sometimes see a bit of oil/fat in the cooking water when not bagged but not enough to cause any concern.
Sounds good.

I’ve finished off a few batches of sausage using my SV. I tried bagging it before but it was a bigger hassle than it was worth, so I just put the links directly in the hot water.

I clean the circulator after and have had no problems. I’ve often thought about buying a second cheaper unit just dedicated for sausage making.
I thought having a spare myself, and I could run two circulators in my Party Stacker. I decided against a lid mod because I have a bag of sous vide balls.

Reactions: xray
I’ve often thought about buying a second cheaper unit just dedicated for sausage making.
I would say this will be a right decision to make.....I have three SV circulators: Anova 850 wt (bought three ? years ago), Inkbird (serves as a backup) and Anova Pro (for large quantities of sausages because it can circulate larger quantities of water). It happened recently that my first Anova device went bad and I am not sure if I will be able to fix it but I have two spares!

SV'ing the saussge without bagging them doesn't pull the seasoning flavor out ? I think that was my cause of when I did bologna, but maybe that was because it was for a longer period of time ?

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky