Sourdough Bread Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Back in the day when they made breads it was just mix, let rise then into the heating area.
They didnt do this fancy slap, fold, bulk rise for 20 hours then banneton the cold ferment.

So I went basic, not knowing if it would produce a good SD boule.

The recipe used was The Pantry Mama but I went another way.

What I did.
Mixed only 50g of mature starter into the water. Added the salt to the flour, kneaded the dough into a tight ball in the bowl, Covered and let it rest on the stove overnight.

I did not add any olive oil like her recipe calls for.

This morning I took the dough and did a simple shape.
Still no slap, stretch or folds.
IMG_5497.JPG

Prepped my dutch and put the dough on the surface.
IMG_5498.JPG

Put the lid back on the dutch, time for 30 min rest.....(cold dutch)
IMG_5499.JPG

After the rest I scored the boule. Did not spray the dough or any ice cubes inside.
IMG_5501.JPG

Did a cold bake. Placed dutch in oven set it to 450* for 1 hour keeping the lid on for the whole hour. Time up remove the lid check IT and im at 209*
IMG_5502.jpg

Let it cool now.
IMG_5503.JPG

Ok time to slice.
IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

Really nice and crusty.
IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

Simpler can be better. I've been gravitating to breads that don't take all day, too.
Ditto this. Added steps can make things better, but minimally so. If you have a good starter and quality ingredients, these are the things that make more of a difference than anything else.

Great looking bread!

Looks good to me .
Looks like you got a board figured out . Did you glue that up or find it somewhere ?

Wow, that looks so good.
I watched a you tube of a guy who did much the same thing. I was skeptical of results being the vid had to be edited together (never know if the results were the same loaf).
You, I trust ! That's one heck of a time savings right there. Time is the major reason I haven't baked one off yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky