Soon to be Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Grabbed a 10lb pork loin at the commissary at lunch.
2 bucks a pound.

Will do half in wet brine, half with dry rub.
20231020_125655.jpg

Nice looking loin .
I'd have to cut it in thirds . Cure the big end and the middle and smoke the smaller tail end or cut it up for chops or schnitzel . That light / dark meat section is the best part .

Reactions: bill ace 350
Nice looking loin .
I'd have to cut it in thirds . Cure the big end and the middle and smoke the smaller tail end or cut it up for chops or schnitzel . That light / dark meat section is the best part .
Thinking of taking a piece and trying to make Lonzino.

Any tips/suggestions?

Reactions: chopsaw
Thinking of taking a piece and trying to make Lonzino.
Great Idea . I did one last March in a Umai bag . If you don't have the conditions or set up , the Umai bags are a great way to go .
Do the dry cure for 2 weeks , then vac in the Umai and take the weight , and figure the target weight . I go for 40% , but it doesn't always make it if the outside dries to fast .
Here's the loin .
2 week cure with cure #2 , then into the Umai for drying .
20230214_152521.jpg
After drying .
20230323_105609.jpg
Sliced .
20230323_110227.jpg
This stuff is awesome . I use Len Poli's info , but apply the Umai directions .

Great Idea . I did one last March in a Umai bag . If you don't have the conditions or set up , the Umai bags are a great way to go .
Do the dry cure for 2 weeks , then vac in the Umai and take the weight , and figure the target weight . I go for 40% , but it doesn't always make it if the outside dries to fast .
Here's the loin .
2 week cure with cure #2 , then into the Umai for drying .
View attachment 678945
After drying .
View attachment 678946
Sliced .
View attachment 678947
This stuff is awesome . I use Len Poli's info , but apply the Umai directions .
That looks great. I do have Umai bags! Going this route.

Sounds great . I'll be watching . I bought 2 butts yesterday after seeing your ham thread .
Just did 2 butts and a brisket last week for sausage , so I'm thinking cure one for ham and maybe do a Umai Capicola .

This was a Coppa Cotto I did using the profile from Len Poli , but TQ for the curing .
The TQ gives it great texture . Fennel / anise seasoning and smoked .
20220911_164820.jpg
20220912_070549.jpg

Sounds great . I'll be watching . I bought 2 butts yesterday after seeing your ham thread .
Just did 2 butts and a brisket last week for sausage , so I'm thinking cure one for ham and maybe do a Umai Capicola .

This was a Coppa Cotto I did using the profile from Len Poli , but TQ for the curing .
The TQ gives it great texture . Fennel / anise seasoning and smoked .
View attachment 678969
View attachment 678970
Those look great! The TQ sounds like a plan.

Far too many dismiss TQ...

Reactions: chopsaw
Far too many dismiss TQ...
I agree , but follow the Umai directions if that what you're doing . Didn't mean to confuse this . The Cotto was cured and cooked .
Cure 2 and I think it's 3% salt for the Umai . That's important . Find their instruction for doing a loin .

Looking to do a loin for Canadian bacon and wondering whether how the dry vs wet cure contest went. I was a little concerned about dry cure because of the thickness of the meat so I got an injector but I see plenty of people here do dry cures for CB.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky