Sonos ARC sound system.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
Is anyone else, pissed about their latest app update?

What a complete crock of $#!t Sonos is. I spent thousands of dollors for my surround system, and their latest update has rendered basically usless.

Spend two hour on the phone with three different Sonos Tech's, and it's barely working. All because they released an app update that wasn't ready to be released.

I'm F'n so pissed at Sonos,and thier crappy customer service. I love the way the system sounds when it's working, not so much now. I vow too never buy anything from Sonos ever again, their support indians are a black eye too their brand name.

Screw, Sonos... Don't buy anything from them, they're a crappy company, with even crappier customer service.

They pushed the app update through, even thoughI have auto up turned off. How? I have now idea.

End of rant!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I here you Dan. I would be pissed also. My sound system is my pride. I have spent more hours than I care to say calibrating it. I use a Pioneer with Dirac Live and use REW as a tool.

Reactions: forktender
Don't have their surround system, but I have 4 Sonos speakers and a Sonos amp with 2 of my speakers connected to it.

I like the update. No issues.

Why do we have two of the same threads going?
Because I'm posting from my duck blind in
20240511_080931.jpg
the middle of the CA delta.

And I couldn't delete it, I reported it to the mods, they will get on it when they can.

Don't have their surround system, but I have 4 Sonos speakers and a Sonos amp with 2 of my speakers connected to it.

I lost all control of distance settings, now it sounds like regular old tv, just louder. Apparently they released the app before it was finished.
A quick Google search will show you what most people think of it.

Google lastest Sonos app update, and enjoy the read. Sonos is a joke, period. Im going back to my Denon system as soon as the speakers I want go on sale
for memorial Day.

I'm done with wifi systems.

Agree with you on that, I wouldn't use WIFI for a surround system.
I have 7.1 channel, all Martin Logan speakers. Mains and center are electrostatic.

• Love
That's what I'm going back to, Denon, and Logan Martin motions.

I've found that Wi-Fi is not a good option when it comes to sound. HDMI or optical are much more reliable and if I have a choice between the two I go with optical,I find the sound quality better.

Because I'm posting from my duck blind in the middle of the CA delta.
What would you be doing there this time of year? I used to have a double barrel blind off Agua Fria Rd up in Richvale, was great for years and then got to never knew if we were going the get any water, a couple years not until after Thanksgiving. RAY

I've found that Wi-Fi is not a good option when it comes to sound. HDMI or optical are much more reliable and if I have a choice between the two I go with optical,I find the sound quality better.
The main sound bar is HDMI then the sub and rears are wireless, it sounds great when it's all tuned up, right now it sounds like garbage.
Sonos really dropped the ball on this app update, people are PISSED!!!

Reactions: chopsaw
Sonos really dropped the ball on this app update, people are PISSED!!!
I feel your pain , and hate to hear it . I went and read up on it a bit . Thing is , it sounded good before , so that's not " gone " just software driven changes ?
I would think they'll issue a patch with the number of people upset , or is there a way to roll it back ? Uninstall the update ?

I switched a year or so ago to a Sony Bravia TV , then went and got the sound bar , wireless rears .
Had a 7.1 before . It was way old , but I liked it and it sounded good .

Wasn't happy with the change , but after learning about the settings . adding the sub and finding the hidden adjustments , it sounds awesome .
So hope you get it worked out and back to what it was . I know I would have to walk away from it for a bit .

I feel your pain , and hate to hear it . I went and read up on it a bit . Thing is , it sounded good before , so that's not " gone " just software driven changes ?
I would think they'll issue a patch with the number of people upset , or is there a way to roll it back ? Uninstall the update ?

I switched a year or so ago to a Sony Bravia TV , then went and got the sound bar , wireless rears .
Had a 7.1 before . It was way old , but I liked it and it sounded good .

Wasn't happy with the change , but after learning about the settings . adding the sub and finding the hidden adjustments , it sounds awesome .
So hope you get it worked out and back to what it was . I know I would have to walk away from it for a bit .
As far as rolling it back, some android users are saying it can be done. I don't feel comfortable downloading the old app off a secondhand source, though. I've read that Apple users can not roll it back. The people I talked with at Sonos, say they will eventually get around to fixing the app, I have zero faith in them now. Why anyone would ever launch an incomplete app is bad business. People with built in speakers and whole house systems are livid, they can not balance their system after the update. These systems aren't cheap, I'm going back to wired, as soon as I save the money for the speakers I want LoganMartin Motion XT F200 towers, they sound unreal, I like them more than the B&W 700 towers, which sound amazing.
For my hearing, the L.M F200's are the best I've ever heard, pricey, though. The Sonos Arc with the ERA300 spatial rears sound amazing, but this whole app thing with zero response from Sonos was just a kick in the nuts. I spent a lot of money last yr buying a top of the line system, that sounds like garbage now, because I can't balance the system, and everyone lost all of their setting with this forced app "upgrade". They will most likely fix the problems, my gripe is why release a new app that isn't complete. Stupid move on Sonos's part, they will lose hundreds of thousands of dollars over this decision. And they haven't apologized for any of it.

Look at the column on the right side of this page.

As far as rolling it back, some android users are saying it can be done. I don't feel comfortable downloading the old app off a secondhand source, though. I've read that Apple users can not roll it back. The people I talked with at Sonos, say they will eventually get around to fixing the app, I have zero faith in them now. Why anyone would ever launch an incomplete app is bad business. People with built in speakers and whole house systems are livid, they can not balance their system after the update. These systems aren't cheap, I'm going back to wired, as soon as I save the money for the speakers I want LoganMartin Motion XT F200 towers, they sound unreal, I like them more than the B&W 700 towers, which sound amazing.
For my hearing, the L.M F200's are the best I've ever heard, pricey, though. The Sonos Arc with the ERA300 spatial rears sound amazing, but this whole app thing with zero response from Sonos was just a kick in the nuts. I spent a lot of money last yr buying a top of the line system, that sounds like garbage now, because I can't balance the system, and everyone lost all of their setting with this forced app "upgrade". They will most likely fix the problems, my gripe is why release a new app that isn't complete. Stupid move on Sonos's part, they will lose hundreds of thousands of dollars over this decision. And they haven't apologized for any of it.

Look at the column on the right side of this page.
These are my main's --> Martin Logan Request Speakers
They were pretty pricy when I bought them a couple decades ago.

• Love
I hear ya , and what makes it worse is I have all my auto update shit turned off ( like you ) for this reason . Somehow they go around that and do it anyway makes me insane .

I read through some of that link . I'd be furious . I have an open floor plan , and the seating is arranged in a way that makes the sound placement tough . That's one reason why I liked the wireless , and the ability to run the 360 spatial calibration , and put in actual locations and distance to walls and ceilings . I have a high vault and having all that input made this system come to life . So I know you had it how you liked it . I'd be done with them too .

S1 or S2 update?

What would you be doing there this time of year? I used to have a double barrel blind off Agua Fria Rd up in Richvale, was great for years and then got to never knew if we were going the get any water, a couple years not until after Thanksgiving. RAY
Hauling out lumber to fix walk ways and spraying tules.
That whole area is bog, without 2x12'' walk ways you'd be up to your eyeballs, we have about 300+ yards worth of boardwalks around that pond.
The hunting in our area is a shell of what it was just 5 yrs ago.
We used to shoot 300+ mallards out of that little beaver pond, now we're lucky to break 100.
If you don't keep up with the tules, it would be about a 12' circle, with all the fresh water in the delta this yr, the tules are growing almost a foot a week, it's crazy.

I hear ya , and what makes it worse is I have all my auto update shit turned off ( like you ) for this reason . Somehow they go around that and do it anyway makes me insane .
That only works with 3rd party apps in most cases,proprietary apps auto update regardless.A perfect example is my Samsung TV...two Samsung apps BlackNut and ChatTogether after being deleted will re-download every day even with auto-update off.Generally this wouldn't bother me but ChatTogether has an annoying habit of throwing a popup on the screen asking if I want to chat with other viewers.Samsung refuses to allow for permanent deletion of these apps so the only solution is to delete these apps on a daily basis.I'm surprised Samsung has made these apps "built-in" so they can't be deleted at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky