Soliciting opinions on PK360 vs Masterbuilt 560

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey everyone,
Long time no post but I've been lurking. I recently sold several grills that just didn't get used enough and/or didn't really fit my needs. This hobby is a wild ride.

But I'm looking to add something to the arsenals and have it narrowed down to the All New Original PK or the Masterbuilt 560 gravity. I'm thinking whatever I pick will be a grill first and smoker second but I'd like the ability to do both. I like that the Masterbuilt would give me more space but my only worry is that everything electronic eventually wears out.

Any advice or opinions you gurus have would be helpful. Thanks!

Reactions: negolien
Its gonna come down to your personal preference. I'm not sure I can advise you.

I have a MB560. I love it as a smoker. Hate it as a grill. I grill on a Kettle. But others have no problem grilling the MB. I prefer to grill with direct heat from coals, not indirect.

My FIL gave me a PK in 1984 when I got married. It was stolen off my patio in 1989. I've missed it ever since and I have no doubt it would still function. No doubt its a great grill, I've no idea about it as a smoker.

IMO, you need both, the PK as a grill and the MB560 as a smoker.

And as to the MB electronics, there's nothing on it that's not replaceable or upgradeable. Just have to put some more money into it. Now as to the build quality and the thickness of the metal, IDK what its life is gonna be.

Reactions: JCAP
Hey everyone,
Long time no post but I've been lurking. I recently sold several grills that just didn't get used enough and/or didn't really fit my needs. This hobby is a wild ride.

But I'm looking to add something to the arsenals and have it narrowed down to the All New Original PK or the Masterbuilt 560 gravity. I'm thinking whatever I pick will be a grill first and smoker second but I'd like the ability to do both. I like that the Masterbuilt would give me more space but my only worry is that everything electronic eventually wears out.

I think we need to know if you can tend fire first the pk looks like a weber clone so. Also What grills/smokers did you keep? 90% of MBGF owners love their units as both a grill and a smoker something most pellets don't do well which is both things. The GF gets up to 700 degrees in minutes which most pellets don't come close. It also is a fantastic smoker. they are a very Simple build anything breakable cost pennies to replace though after 4 years I have had 0 issues.

It's getting to be grilling season to so look IN PERSON at lowes, home depot and walmart for rediculous sales on the gravity feeds. the NEVER advertise em so be sure to GO IN PERSON and be patient.
grill.jpg

Reactions: JCAP
I have plenty of experience maintaining a fire so that's not an issue for the PK. I have other smokers and grills that I use, this is just going to be another tool in the box so to speak.

Hey everyone,

I've had both. The PK grill is perfect for several steaks, hamburgers and the like. It's too small for smoker use. But it's built like a tank and will last forever.
The 560 and it's bigger brothers have better control over the heat/smoke and don't require as much tending to. If you go that direction, get used to the unit, then replace the stock controller with a Fireboard controller and you will have the perfect cooker for both grilling and especially smoking as it will control the heat better. Simple one wire connection for the Fireboard. Ultimately, there'll be some significant rusting of the sheet metal so you have to keep an eye on that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky