Sodium TriPolyPhosphate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have not made sausage (no stuffer) with it yet but plan to. Not sure if this is the best example to use but what blew my mind was the first time injecting it in a pork butt and to see the only thing that rendered was fat and no juice. My yield on PP is near 80% with bone removed... One important thing I think that is misunderstood is the limit. STPP is not like cure where if you exceed the % limit you can die. It just gets metallic tasting above that limit. For sausage making, it is considered by many the ultimate binder. I find most guys think it is like MSG and bad. "Let me add this cure which is potentially lethal, but don't add msg or we will have headaches..."

Adding phosphates to whole muscle , or ground meat keeps the moisture in the meat . It will not cook out from my experience . So if store bought sausage is shrinking up , and losing moisture I would bet there are no phosphates added .

Reactions: ramatack
Adding phosphates to whole muscle , or ground meat keeps the moisture in the meat . It will not cook out from my experience . So if store bought sausage is shrinking up , and losing moisture I would bet there are no phosphates added .
It will cook out when you fry the sausage, just like the scallops Chef jj mentioned....

PHOSPHATES
Phosphates have wide application in the meat processing industry. They include sodium tripolyphosphate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, dissodium phosphate etc..

Alkaline phosphate salts (sodium tripolyphosphate and tetrasodium pyrophosphate) elevate the pH of meat, thus improving its water-holding power. The acid reacting phosphates (alkali-metal salts or ortophosphoric acid and pyrophosphoric acid), on the contrary, lower the pH.

Polyphosphates act as buffers; they sequester cations and raise the ionic strength of the solution. Tetrasodium pyrophosphate interacts directly with actomyosin dissociating it into myosin and actin. Sodium tripolyphosphate has a similar effect, but is active after a short delay for enzymatic hydrolysis to tetrasodium pyrophosphate, while sodium hexametaphosphate does not interact at all. The actin and myosin, dissociated by tetrasodium pyrophosphate and sodium tripolyphosphate, are then solubilized by salt and thereby their water binding capacity is enhanced. During heat coagulation of highly solubilized protein, the water is immobilized in the pores of formed gel structure.

Although both sodium tripolyphosphate and tetrasodium pyrophosphate are superior to all other phosphates, sodium tripolyphosphates have a higher solubility and are less prone to form insoluble precipitates. Sodium acid pyrophosphate in particular is often utilized in sausages. The permissible maximum concentration of residual phosphates in meat products is set at 0.5 percent.

Phosphates retard development of oxidative rancidity in meat products.

FYI, STPP (sodium tri poly phosphate) is 31.25% sodium by weight so take the grams of TSPP you are using and multiply by 0.3125 and that is how many grams of sodium you are adding to the meat paste. Adjust your NaCl (table salt) accordingly.....

Phosphates can hold moisture in meat, even after cooking. But, these properties can be abused. The Phosphates can bind more water in Raw meat than in Cooked meat. So as the meat proteins shrink this Excess moisture is squeezed out. The finished meat still holds more moisture than meat not treated with Phosphate. So in the case of overly hydrated Shrimp, Scallops, Sausage and other meats, there will be a lot of Shrinkage.
I worked with a guy whose family harvested Scallops out of Boston. He confirmed that the generic Scallops, typically sold in grocery stores, as opposed to Scallops labeled Dry, Day Boat or Diver Scallops, are soaked in a Phosphate Solution to plump them and add weight...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
indaswamp indaswamp Caffeine hadn't kicked in when I posted so my sarcasm was weak. LOL Huge fan of MSG. A must in sausage. Very surprised I don't ever see it recipe formulations here.

Good point on the sodium. I worked the math out before but notes at home. IIRC STPP dose is .5% so .3125 is .15625. I also reduce salt for MSG and it is 12% sodium. I dose at same rate as STPP .5%. .5 * .12 = .06. So .2% (.15625+.06) reduction of salt for using both. Which works out well as it is same reduction for cure #1 (.2%). IOW reduce salt .4% in a cured sausage containing MSG and STPP. 1.6% to hit the classic 2% salt. I use 1% salt for whole muscle injection and plan to try that first on my sausages once I get a stuffer.

I am with ChefJJ that STPP can be abused and if adding too much water/liquid there could be a loss. That said, keep it safe and 10% or less and I doubt you will have issues.

If using a premade spice mix/injection, check your ingredient listing before you add. It could be already in the mix. There is STPP in TonyC's injections. Also many popular binders include it as well. IE Walton Sure Gel.

If using a premade spice mix/injection, check your ingredient listing before you add. It could be already in the mix. There is STPP in TonyC's injections. Also many popular binders include it as well. IE Walton Sure Gel.
That's good advice , and another reason I use a lesser amount . If I mix it from scratch I use Dave's math .

I use it in all my sticks, GB jerky and sausage now. It helps with the texture and I can tell a huge difference vs without. I run it at the recommended rate and either use B&P #414 or AmesPhos brands.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky