So what's the big deal with peeling the membrane off ribs?? does it make a difference??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Beef rib membrane is much more difficult to remove than pork, some recommend cooking the ribs for 2.5 hrs to make it easier to remove. Or ask the butcher to remove it for you.

I've never pulled the memembrane and get a smoke ring that is 2/3 of the entire meat layer (edit: from both sides of the slab).

I just let the dry rub set for a few minutes (on the meat side) and apply a second dose if I want it really heavy. If I want super-tender ribs doing a 3-2-1 or variation, I never have a slab falling apart as the membrane keeps it tied together.

(Just some other thoughts to consider)

Eric

Last edited:
i have smoked ribs with the membrane intact and have had the membrane removed . I do agree with it removed the smoke did seem to penetrate the meat better and those ribs i bought that the membrane was super glued on i took a knife and cut slits thru the membrane to the bone , that seemed to work just as well and after the ribs were done smoking the membrane could be removed before you ate the ribs

The paper towel trick works great but I've found that it's still a lot tougher to remove the membrane from beef ribs then pork. Pork it pulls right off, with beef ribs I have to really work at it. All in all it's worth the effort.
With beef ribs I have to peel the membrane from side to side, it's easier than trying to go from one end to the other. Now that is time consuming.

Agree with everything that has been said about the value of pulling the membrane and the use of the paper towel. A friend of mine uses these...
8c381fb5_fishpliers.jpg

I have never tried them.  here is link   http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Fish-Grip-Pliers--738065.uts.shtml

Last edited:
Smoking ribs for the first time and forgot to take the membrane off. I am 30 min in to a 4 smoke tired to pull it off at this point and it is glued on so I took a very sharp knife and made slices between ribs and scored the back of ribs. I am hopeful that my ribs will not have the tough backs i have been hearing about. 

Pork back loin ribs maple mustard mix, then spicy rub and I am make a sweet and thick sauce with very little vinegar flavor

I think the membrane melted off. It was very tender but still stuck to the bone. I did a pound per person then counted myself twice and one person could not make it so, 9lbs for 6 people. It was a wonderful dinner and my bbq ribs are all gone, Success!!!

I took a whole rack of beef ribs......cut em in half and removed the pain in the ass membrane from one and not the other......seasoned them and dod em wrapped in oven 2 hours at 300....then sauced and roasted 300 30 mins uncovered.....both tasted identical...BUT......WHEN YOU GO TO BITE THEM OFF THE BONE... membrane on tends to pull off all in one piece......membrame off allows you to take a bite and leave the rest......so...your choice...I say rmoving is worth the wffort

NEVER , NEVER , NEVER Remove the membrane before smoking or cooking from pork ribs, There is no need to, just take your ribs sprinkle garlic salt, place them on the BBQ fat side up over low indirect heat for 3 to 4 hours there is no need to turn them over you see because the fat is on the top and the membrane on the bottom will hold the fat in the meat. I have at times added a mesquite additive to the top while cooking. This will result in a true BBQ simple rib. When you eat this it will have a very tender meat but it will have enough chew to it to extract the pork flavor you paid for. If you must you can add vinegar,brown sugar,tomato,herbs and spices afterwards if you enjoy those flavors instead of pork. If you prefer rib meat that falls off the bone don't bother with charcoal, just roast it in the oven at 300 for six hours covered with vinegar,brown sugar,tomato,herbs and spices (BBQ sauce) . Remember when you do the ribs without BBQ sauce you can offer your guests a variety of tomato based and mustard based sauces, I suggest you try a few ribs with just a tiny bit of garlic salt, you might like them. Just one person's strong opinion thanks for your time.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell if the membrane is actually left on a rack of ribs.  When the tough membrane is removed there is still a lighter, though, more tender membrane left on.  If you aren't familiar with the difference, it can confuse you.  I've done both.  Removing, and not removing, and I can't tell the difference.  Why?  Because I take a sharp knife and score the membrane side 3/8" to 1/2" in two directions at least.

Never had anyone say they were tough to eat.  Saves time and effort.  Good enough for home, friends and neighbors.  Competition is out of my league anyway, so I don't worry about it.

Although I have turned out a few ribs that matched Smokey D's from Iowa, the best BBG joint in the US.

Takes me about 30 sec to a min to remove membrane, not sure where I got this tip from, but it works great and easy.  Take a screw driver (clean one, not a used greasy one...lol)  I have a brand new one in my kitchen drawer just for this, use a phillips head, works better.  Start in the middle of the rack, work the screw driver from one side to the other until you can get the entire shaft under the membrane.  Now stick you other finger under the shaft onto the meat to hold it down, lift straight up with the screw driver, the membrane will begin to pull off equally in both direction, works like a charm and very quickly after a little practice.  If one side pulls off first, use a paper towel and finish it off.  This is the BEST and EASIEST way I have found to remove the membrane.  I have literally done it in under 30 secs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky