Smoking with Cherry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sinnyone

Original poster
Oct 11, 2023
How are peoples thoughts on smoking with cherry. I tried using some this weekend on some ribs, but it just didnt burn very well. Its been drying in the garage for over a year so should be dry. dont have a moisture meter to check, oak that was sitting right next to it burned fine, nice blue thin smoke. Cherry would just smolder and put off a lot of bad smoke. couldnt really get it going. any thoughts? Using an offsett.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF from Colorado.

Not sure what’s up with your cherry wood, sounds like the moisture is still to high. Pretty much all I burn is a 70% pecan and 30% cherry mix. Offset, smokehouse and pellet grill. I really like the results from that combination. While I can source cherry locally, there isn’t a pecan tree within 500 miles of me so its easier to just buy it at the store when I can find it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Cherry is harder to burn. I know in pellets it needs mixed with oak or something else to keep it burning

Reactions: Sinnyone
I use lumberjack 100% cherry and they burn fine. It is my favorite wood for baby back's. Maybe it just needs longer to dry.

Cherry is my favorite wood to smoke if it’s dry it lights up fast and burns clean….try smaller splits and look for moisture coming out when it fires up….if it starts to steam before it fires up its wet….

Example of cherry……
F83A7FC9-503F-47DB-980B-FA3358A27061.jpeg

Are we talking pellets, chips, chunks, or splits here? You don't mention the style of wood you are using....
No I didn't. I'm using smaller splits, maybe wrist thick and 8 " long. It may be a moisture issue. I will try it with a little oak and check steam release. Ty all for the replys.

I'm with civilsmoker I use straight cherry at times and don't have a problem with it burning. I would think yours isn't completely dry. It's very good with pork. It also works very well with poultry

Last edited:
And cherry is full of nitrogen, which burns off as nitric oxide, this is the same as cure salt process. So cherry gives a good smoke ring and a beautiful reddish smoke color. It’s a secret.

Welcome from North Texas.

As it happens, I used Western cherry chunks from WalMart for a pork shoulder in my SI Model 2 for the first time last week. Results were very good; the cherry produced a mild, sweet smokey flavor that was a hit with my guests who don't like a heavy smoke flavor.

Cherry for me gives color to the meat, I like it on Beef and especially on Ribs to darken the texture. It's not as strong as oak to taste but it's special for that reason. Dry wood in the offset is key to high temp wouldn't you think? I'm not being insulting, but preheat as you go along your pieces to feed, if you have wood stored in protective areas your a lucky one. It's all about dry wood not moisture laden wood, control the fire and the smoke falls in line with the cook

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky