Smoking pork ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chicubs1

Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Question I smoked pork ribs with applewood using the 2-2-1 method after letting them sit in dry rub over night. I smoked them for 5 hrs. They came out red they looked at felt 100pct done. Why would they turn out red please help

That's was smoking does to meat. Nitric oxide from smoke fixes the myoglobin so that it does not turn brown, and stays red. It's called smoke ring. Cures have the same effect.

Reactions: chicubs1
Smoke infusion turns the meat red. It’s a beautiful thing and tasty.
Nitric Oxide and Carbon monoxide from the smoke, fix the color of the meats myoglobin as red. It then never turns grey.

They red you ask about is called “pink ring” very desirable.

That's was smoking does to meat. Nitric oxide from smoke fixes the myoglobin so that it does not turn brown, and stays red. It's called smoke ring. Cures have the same effect.
Thanks new to this. I have smoked ribs a coue times now never came out red. Did I maybe use to much wood. The internal temp was fine and they tasted good. Just red not just the ring. Thanks for replying

And wood/smoke can affect exterior color too.... these ribs saw no sauce and were only sprayed with water, but I used cherry wood.
xRDJExZ.jpg

Whatever rub you used could certainly effect the color of the finished product. As thirdeye thirdeye stated, the type of wood used will effect color also, cherry gives the best smoke ring. Heck, it they tasted good with a nice bite that's something to be happy about! Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ, you landed in a great spot! RAY

Whatever rub you used could certainly effect the color of the finished product. As thirdeye thirdeye stated, the type of wood used will effect color also, cherry gives the best smoke ring. Heck, it they tasted good with a nice bite that's something to be happy about! Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ, you landed in a great spot! RAY
That I did very happy I found this

Is there a app for this forum??

I just wouldn't know bud. I jumped into the pool 18 months back and killed my flip phone, ended up having to get my first smart phone. After a year and a half I've come to the realization I'm too stupid to own a smart phone, I hate the dammed thing and don't know jack about apps. RAY

Is there a app for this forum??

This forum's software is designed to render very well on a smart phone. No app required. I have not checked it on my phone in a while, but as I recall it works better than Tap-A-Talk.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky