Smoking on Large rotisserie grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonesboro Hog

Original poster
Aug 15, 2020
Hey guys, I have a large charcoal rotisserie grill I inherited recently. It has 4 racks about 5 ft long with the charcoal pit off the back. I’m looking for ideas on how to smoke butts. Would like to smoke around 20 for my office employees. Please give me ideas on how long to smoke at what temp, smoking wood ideas, rubs, anything to spray on during the process.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ! You usually want to smoke butts until they reach a internal temperature of around 203º and are probe tender, then wrap them up and let them rest in a cooler for at least and hour before pulling the meat. I'd try to get butts that all weighed pretty close the same, say 8 pounds each. Give the butts a thin coat of some cheap yellow mustard so any rub you want to apply will adhere, you won't taste the mustard when the butts are done. I've got no idea what your smoker looks like or how it works. I'd spin them at 275º for about 12 hours using lump charcoal and hickory wood, spray them down with a 50-50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water every 45 minutes to and hour. That ought to get you close to where you want to be. Doing 20 butts you just might want to find someone with a bit of pit experience to help you out. RAY

Reactions: chilerelleno
Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ! You usually want to smoke butts until they reach a internal temperature of around 203º and are probe tender, then wrap them up and let them rest in a cooler for at least and hour before pulling the meat. I'd try to get butts that all weighed pretty close the same, say 8 pounds each. Give the butts a thin coat of some cheap yellow mustard so any rub you want to apply will adhere, you won't taste the mustard when the butts are done. I've got no idea what your smoker looks like or how it works. I'd spin them at 275º for about 12 hours using lump charcoal and hickory wood, spray them down with a 50-50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water every 45 minutes to and hour. That ought to get you close to where you want to be. Doing 20 butts you just might want to find someone with a bit of pit experience to help you out. RAY
Thanks sawhorse, that all sounds familiar. It has just been several years since I’ve done butts, wanted to make sure I was on the right track!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky