Smoking in Afghanistan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
RJ,

I have no idea how to do goat, but I suspect it is close to Deer.

Also my first choices would be the back-straps & then the hind quarters.

However I do want to thank you, ALL of your buddies over there, and your family for toughing it out without you!

THANK YOU ALL,

Bear

Thank you,  and your troop for everything. Being a former Air Force brat I know how we come

by our safety. If someone can post an address, I'll take action and send what is wanted.

Todd is awesome, as are the rest of this family of smokers...I love this place...James

That's the best post I have seen on this forum!  Bless you for your kindness for those who work and sacrifice to make our world a better place and serve our country and each of us!

1st Thank you for serving !!! Hind Qtr will have the most fat on it and it is not unlike beef so that is a plus and I cook it like beef at same temps luck on the smoke and take good care of yourself

Rick (otter)

This is awesome, I'd chip in but I sent my box for the month. What a great bunch of member we have here. 
usa.gif

Thank you for your service. Glad to have you here. As you can see a great bunch of guys.

If you are the troops need some tobassco or cajun seasonings just drop me an address .Can have them in the mail monday.

I just wanted to tip the hat to you for your service, RJ. Come home safe. Todd, that was awesome. You guys are a real class act. What a great community we've got here.

Thank you for your Service! And cooking good food brings people together! I would like to help any way I can.

If I can get a address to ship to I will send fixings for rubs and some hot sauces and BBQ sauces.

PS Todd you rock! Good deed of the week maybe even year for sending him a smoker!

I've never smoked goat before. I just wanted to thank you for your service to our great country. Keep your head down and come back safe.

First RJ, Thank you and your fellow service: men & women for your service
flag.gif
.  (USN '67-71)

Will need your mailing address so I, (we) can help keep you stocked up.  I have a friend, a butcher, who loves to get involved with good causes, like this.

What kind, and how much, cold storage do you have available there?  What cuts of meat do your guys like, and how much smoke time will you be allowed?

Unless you are cooking for the ' TOP BRASS', you may have to limit your smoke time.

Do you have propane available?,  It might have to replace the wood, as I'm sure that that ISN'T all that plentiful.

What restrictions, if any, is there on sending food, uncooked, into a combat zone? 

What about the 'locals', will they object to the smoking of meat, that is NOT of their food type? 

When you start smoking it's kinda hard to hide the aroma of 'smoking meat'.  It MIGHT attract some UNWANTED attention, you know what I mean??????

Best of luck  COME HOME SAFE !!!!!  AND THAT GOES FOR ALL OF YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Last time I was over all we had to do was talk to the mess sergeant. They would let us have whatever meat we wanted.we would usually cook some extra and take it back to him so he could enjoy some... Thanks for serving...​

Last time I was over all we had to do was talk to the mess sergeant. They would let us have whatever meat we wanted.we would usually cook some extra and take it back to him so he could enjoy some... Thanks for serving...​
Sounds like you had a better Mess Sgt than we had in 'Nam.

We caught him selling our once a month steaks in My Tho, to the Vietnamese.

They transferred him for his own protection.

The replacement was Great!

He saved the steaks & chicken, and we had a big cookout every month or two.

Thank you for serving too!!!

Bear

In my day, the company clerk was your friend.  A well placed mistake by him could disrupt the flow of orders and other documents reaching the finance office.  This could result in the Mess Sergeant and the Supply Sergeant not being docked for leave time they took.  Of course the Mess Sergeant and the Supply Sergeant were then obliged to take care of the troops.  Not sure how easy this would be in todays paperless world?

Good luck and good smoking.

I have been absolutely blown away by the response from this.  We are still working on modififying the smoker at the moment.  I do have a supply of wood and we'll see how it smokes.  I usually have one day a week or so that I can budget enough time to do it right.  If it does attract some attention, I'm banking on them tasting the meat and blessing off on it.  Of course, there are always channels to go through.  I'll post pictures of the smoker when we get it put together and there will be a ton of Q-View.  We are excited to get this undertaking going.  The mess halls here are all contracted to civilian companies, so it's harder to just ask them for meat.  I will keep all of you in the loop on the progress of this.  I'm guessing like a lot of other things here, it will take a little bit of time, but it will be more than worth it.  As the locals say, "Enshallah", it means "God willing."  Thank you again for all of your support.  I can't thank you guys enough! 

ESSAYONS!

When I was in Iraq, I was able to work a deal with the Air Force medical personnel that would fly the injured back to Germany. I gave them a cooler and some cash and had them go to a local butcher or to the commissary and get me meat and supplies. They would fly back in a day or two with the meat and i would meet them back at the hospital to claim it. Sweet deal. Hopefully that gives you a little bit better insight on getting some good reliable meat, fast. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky