Smoking from frozen?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
I recently had a brainstorm (or in my case maybe a braindrizzle).
I've been just making fresh sausage for a while now because in my case warm smoking is kind of a pain, but I still use #1 cure anyway.
It occurred to me that maybe I could take some out of the freezer when it gets warmer out, thaw them and smoke them.
Is this doable? Does freezing affect the cure?
Any input appreciated!

I did it just yesterday with some Andouille . Comes out great . I don't notice any difference myself , but doesn't mean it can't happen .
When I make andouille and kielbasa I add cure 1 then smoke some and save some fresh and freeze it .

I would let the sausage dry longer then fresh and wipe it down a couple of times to remove of some of the excess water that accumulated during freezing before smoking. 🍻
I let it dry as much as if I planned to smoke it before vacuum-sealing and freezing. If there's any moisture after thawing I'll be sure to dry it off.
Thank you!

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Freezing won't affect the cure, but it will affect the texture. The sausage will not be as firm once smoked than it is was cooked prior to freezing.
I was mainly concerned about the cure. I know there may be some issues.
Thank you and I appreciate your experienced input!

I did it just yesterday with some Andouille . Comes out great . I don't notice any difference myself , but doesn't mean it can't happen .
When I make andouille and kielbasa I add cure 1 then smoke some and save some fresh and freeze it .
I'm going to give it a try when it's warmer, chop. ice.jpg
That's ice on that Redbud out front. Three days ago it was sunny and in the 60s.
March in Indiana....

Three days ago it was sunny and in the 60s.
March in Indiana....
Missouri is the same way .
The stuff I did yesterday , I smoked for 3 hours then cooked indirect on the Weber . Comes out great . So not a traditional smoke I guess , but it's good like that . Be watching .

Wurstmeister, you have the dubious distinction of giving me my 1000th like/point! Thanks!
Sorry, no prizes awarded :-)
Dan

Reactions: jmusser
Missouri is the same way .
The stuff I did yesterday , I smoked for 3 hours then cooked indirect on the Weber . Comes out great . So not a traditional smoke I guess , but it's good like that . Be watching .
I'll try that. With my mailbox and hotplate setup in my old MB gasser I always end up finishing in the house oven. PITA!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky