Smokin-It to replace MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LandToSea

Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
After 4 years my MES 30 is dead. The plastic cover for the electronic control board de-laminated and peeled off and I think moisture got into the electronics. Every time I plug it in it throws a breaker in my fuse panel. I like the MES and am not completely decided about not repurchasing although I think I have read the newer ones have some issues not present in the older model I had. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ideally, I want electric, long lasting, reliable temp control and ability to achieve at least 275*, but preferably 325* so I do not need to do oven transfers when that temp is needed to crisp up bark on finish. One of my biggest gripes on the MES is having to refill the chip hopper every 30m or so. I would prefer something I can leave run unattended much longer. I was not planning on spending more than $400 but the Smokin-It #3D seems to fit at a much higher cost of $879 shipped. If it last 20+ years instead of the 4-5 years I have gotten out of my previous two MES and one Bradley I guess I can justify it. I was looking at the model 3 initially, but the temp is listed at a max of 250* although both it and the 3D have the same 1200w element. I guess the mechanical rheostat is limited on the 3 for some reason although the element could get hotter? The digital controller must give the higher temp ability. While that is great it leads me back to my current MES issue and longevity. Mechanical rheostats should be easy to obtain and replace even if the manufacturer goes under in the future. Digital boards on the other hand are more proprietary and if they go you would have to completely redesign the electrical control system. Any feedback on my perspective and direction with your suggestions based on your experiences is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
After 4 years my MES 30 is dead. The plastic cover for the electronic control board de-laminated and peeled off and I think moisture got into the electronics. Every time I plug it in it throws a breaker in my fuse panel. I like the MES and am not completely decided about not repurchasing although I think I have read the newer ones have some issues not present in the older model I had. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ideally, I want electric, long lasting, reliable temp control and ability to achieve at least 275*, but preferably 325* so I do not need to do oven transfers when that temp is needed to crisp up bark on finish. One of my biggest gripes on the MES is having to refill the chip hopper every 30m or so. I would prefer something I can leave run unattended much longer. I was not planning on spending more than $400 but the Smokin-It #3D seems to fit at a much higher cost of $879 shipped. If it last 20+ years instead of the 4-5 years I have gotten out of my previous two MES and one Bradley I guess I can justify it. I was looking at the model 3 initially, but the temp is listed at a max of 250* although both it and the 3D have the same 1200w element. I guess the mechanical rheostat is limited on the 3 for some reason although the element could get hotter? The digital controller must give the higher temp ability. While that is great it leads me back to my current MES issue and longevity. Mechanical rheostats should be easy to obtain and replace even if the manufacturer goes under in the future. Digital boards on the other hand are more proprietary and if they go you would have to completely redesign the electrical control system. Any feedback on my perspective and direction with your suggestions based on your experiences is greatly appreciated!

Hi there and welcome!

I don't own a smokin-it but it would have been the smoker I would have purchased to do it all over again over the MES. HOWEVER, I have gotten really good and fixing up the MES smokers to safely and effectively bypass the onboard controller which is a weak point, as you have experienced.

Before you go out and spend $400 to $800+ on a new smoker, you might be able to spend less than $200 and easily turn your busted MES into an electric smoker that meats all your requirements and performs WAY better than it did when the stock controller worked!

In a nutshell here is what you can do with your existing busted MES:
1. Do a very simple rewire job, see my post on how to do it here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

2. With the rewire use a new controller called a PID controller from Auber. Start with the model WS-1510ELPM and go upwards to the top of the page and any of those controllers should work for your MES and the rewire job (yes they get fancier and more expensive as you go up lol) https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_28&page=1&sort=4d

3. Use the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray for up to 9-12 hours of set and forget smoke generation! Most MES guys here use it. You can place it in your MES or build what is called a Mailbox Mod and hook it to the chip loader hole if you like :)
full

4. The PID controller will allow you to go to 325F if you like but I wouldn't recommend doing that for more than a few hours because the MES really wasn't designed to function that hot for long periods of time.
To do so you would also need to replace your MES Safety Rollout Limit Switch with this one that goes up to 350F:

I do this and only go to 325F on chicken/poultry smokes to get edible skin. Those smokes are done very quickly so I don't risk burning up the insulation in the MES.

In all, you can do a few simple things to your dead MES for less than $200 and have a smoker that was WAY better than when the MES was brand new! Myself and a number of guys here run this way and everyone seems to be so much happier with their MES :)

I hope this info helps out and if you have any questions ask away :)

Hi there and welcome!

I don't own a smokin-it but it would have been the smoker I would have purchased to do it all over again over the MES. HOWEVER, I have gotten really good and fixing up the MES smokers to safely and effectively bypass the onboard controller which is a weak point, as you have experienced.

Before you go out and spend $400 to $800+ on a new smoker, you might be able to spend less than $200 and easily turn your busted MES into an electric smoker that meats all your requirements and performs WAY better than it did when the stock controller worked!

In a nutshell here is what you can do with your existing busted MES:
1. Do a very simple rewire job, see my post on how to do it here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

2. With the rewire use a new controller called a PID controller from Auber. Start with the model WS-1510ELPM and go upwards to the top of the page and any of those controllers should work for your MES and the rewire job (yes they get fancier and more expensive as you go up lol) https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_28&page=1&sort=4d

3. Use the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray for up to 9-12 hours of set and forget smoke generation! Most MES guys here use it. You can place it in your MES or build what is called a Mailbox Mod and hook it to the chip loader hole if you like :)
full

4. The PID controller will allow you to go to 325F if you like but I wouldn't recommend doing that for more than a few hours because the MES really wasn't designed to function that hot for long periods of time.
To do so you would also need to replace your MES Safety Rollout Limit Switch with this one that goes up to 350F:

I do this and only go to 325F on chicken/poultry smokes to get edible skin. Those smokes are done very quickly so I don't risk burning up the insulation in the MES.

In all, you can do a few simple things to your dead MES for less than $200 and have a smoker that was WAY better than when the MES was brand new! Myself and a number of guys here run this way and everyone seems to be so much happier with their MES :)

I hope this info helps out and if you have any questions ask away :)
Wow, tallbm, this is awesome info, much thanks! My MES isn't in great condition, some exterior surface rust from being outside in FL humidity and dew for years. That is the only reason I would be hesitant to invest $200. Also, the seal will need replacement soon since it is starting to leak. Either way, I may still do this since it solves my problems with the MES. I do have an AMNPS and have used it for cold smokes. I have has trouble keeping it lit, but may need to take some steps pre drying my pellets first. Either way, I would still need heat so I would have to fix the electric burner control somehow. I guess I could go with a simpler and cheaper option of the Auber you suggested.

Most of the issues you speak of are with the Generation #2.

The Gen #2.5 is Awesome. I like mine even better than my 7 year old Gen #1.

Heat is balanced from Left to Right, and with an AMNPS, I consider it as close to set & forget as it gets.

Bear

Reactions: LandToSea
Most of the issues you speak of are with the Generation #2.

The Gen #2.5 is Awesome. I like mine even better than my 7 year old Gen #1.

Heat is balanced from Left to Right, and with an AMNPS, I consider it as close to set & forget as it gets.

Bear
Good to know on the current version Bearcarver, thanks! Assuming Gen 2 may still be flaoting around in some vendor's inventory I will need to look up how to tell the difference from Gen 2.5. Is the current 40 good or still problematic? It appears there are currently five 30" and three 40" models...
https://masterbuilt.com/grid/?index=1&category=Smokers&type=Digital+Electric&sort=Featured

Last edited:
Wow, tallbm, this is awesome info, much thanks! My MES isn't in great condition, some exterior surface rust from being outside in FL humidity and dew for years. That is the only reason I would be hesitant to invest $200. Also, the seal will need replacement soon since it is starting to leak. Either way, I may still do this since it solves my problems with the MES. I do have an AMNPS and have used it for cold smokes. I have has trouble keeping it lit, but may need to take some steps pre drying my pellets first. Either way, I would still need heat so I would have to fix the electric burner control somehow. I guess I could go with a simpler and cheaper option of the Auber you suggested.

Ah, I see. A little more used than I was thinking :D

Well you know the option exists :)

Ah, I see. A little more used than I was thinking :D

Well you know the option exists :)
Ya, unfortunately it got really weathered this past year while we did renovations. Other things took priority in the garage and under the covered patio. It was under a pop tent for a while and then that fell apart so it was outside in the elements for months at the least. I should have just ordered a cover.

Either way the info is great. I didnt know those controllers existed and what they cost. Now I see the justification in the cost difference in the Smokin-It analog and digital models. Also, it is good to know there are options to replace the controller if they went out of business and the original electronics died.

Good to know on the current version Bearcarver, thanks! Assuming Gen 2 may still be flaoting around in some vendor's inventory I will need to look up how to tell the difference from Gen 2.5. Is the current 40 good or still problematic? It appears there are currently five 30" and three 40" models...
https://masterbuilt.com/grid/?index=1&category=Smokers&type=Digital+Electric&sort=Featured

As far as Generations There are only 3 of each:
Gen #1---Second Best.
Gen #2---Worst.
Gen #2.5---Best.
There are also some "Hybrids" that have various parts intermingled, but the important thing is to avoid the Gen #2.

This (Below) is how to tell them apart, and the other Link is what I found during using my Gen #1s, my Gen #2.5, and Testing a Gen #2 they sent me to test.

Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

As far as Generations There are only 3 of each:
Gen #1---Second Best.
Gen #2---Worst.
Gen #2.5---Best.
There are also some "Hybrids" that have various parts intermingled, but the important thing is to avoid the Gen #2.

This (Below) is how to tell them apart, and the other Link is what I found during using my Gen #1s, my Gen #2.5, and Testing a Gen #2 they sent me to test.

Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear
Thanks Bear, it looks like I currently have a broken Gen 2. Now I need to decide whether I buy an Auber controller etc listed above to repair it better than stock, or to just buy a Gen 2.5 40 if I go the MES route again instead of the SmokinIt. Is the MES 40 Gen 2.5 still limited to 275*?

Anyone with more info on the Smokin-It options please chime in. I am still trying to find justification to the 2x cost over the MES40 since I feel it would better suit the lifetime unit goal.

Last edited:
Maybe, someday, Masterbuilt will cease marketing the Model 2 and the smoking universe will be at peace. As for justifying the 2X cost of a SI over the MES40, you have to judge that for yourself: high temp fiber glass insulation, stainless steel in/out including shelves/racks, 3 year warranty (1 year on PID), etc. The SI site has a lot of info and there is a lot to read here at SMF regarding SI, both pro and con. Besides SI and Masterbuilt, there is also Cookshack, SmokenTex, SmokeHollow Smoketronix, etc. So many choices, so little time.

Reactions: shrews824
If it is just surface rust, I say give it a nice custom paint job when you do the rewire. You can buy new seal material like this from Amazon for under $20. If you follow the above rewire advice including replacing the suspect crimp terminals of the original wiring, the only thing left of the "original" electrical is the element, which should be fine.

But if it is a early model Gen 2 (with the side vent) then maybe not worth it. If it is a later model Gen 2, that has the top left vent (like the gen 2.5), then lose the inside water pan and reconfigure to have something very similar to a 2.5 (which is what I have done with mine).

The $500-$600 savings over buying a new Smoking IT will sure put a lot of meat in your rebuilt smoker!!!

I don't have anything against the Smoking IT, and if you have the $ its probably a great unit. Just saying what my thoughts and limited funds would be thinking

Maybe, someday, Masterbuilt will cease marketing the Model 2 and the smoking universe will be at peace. As for justifying the 2X cost of a SI over the MES40, you have to judge that for yourself: high temp fiber glass insulation, stainless steel in/out including shelves/racks, 3 year warranty (1 year on PID), etc. The SI site has a lot of info and there is a lot to read here at SMF regarding SI, both pro and con. Besides SI and Masterbuilt, there is also Cookshack, SmokenTex, SmokeHollow Smoketronix, etc. So many choices, so little time.

If I had to make a Gen #2 MES 40 work, I can tell you what I would do:
#1 First rip out that stupid Slanted Drip plate with the little water pa hanging from it.
#2 If the Top Vent is anyplace other than the Back Left Corner of the Top, move it there.
#3 Put the bottom Rack in place, so you can put a Foil Pan in the center of it, and the AMNPS on the right end, above the Chip Dumper.

These changes should change a Gen #2 into a close replica of the Gen #2.5, except it would have a better Remote (RF instead of Bluetooth).

If you read the recommendations I gave Masterbuilt a few years ago, these were the main Hints I gave them before they came out with the Gen #2.5.

Bear

I got tired of fixing my MES and decided to spend the money to get a product that would last yet still have the convenience of use of the MES. I chose Smokin-It and have never looked back. That was 3 years ago and it has performed flawlessly without the need for repair. It is very solidly built and the racks are heavy duty like you find in a oven. If you can, make the jump and move on.

I got tired of fixing my MES and decided to spend the money to get a product that would last yet still have the convenience of use of the MES. I chose Smokin-It and have never looked back. That was 3 years ago and it has performed flawlessly without the need for repair. It is very solidly built and the racks are heavy duty like you find in a oven. If you can, make the jump and move on.

Sound like my MES, except mine have been around much longer.

Bear

I grabbed a Smokin'-It #2 to replace my Masterbuilt and haven't regretted the decision one little bit. It works perfectly for my needs. Obviously, everyone has different needs, but definitely give the SI some thought. Good luck with your decision either way. Cheers.

I broke the bad new's to the wife this morning. I want a new smoker to replace my cobbled and kludged old Brinkman conversion.
I want to join the 21st century, go digital, go forward.
She thinks she might budget it by the end of this month. God Bless her.

I've been looking since before I joined SMF. But SMF has really upped the game by a mile! If you want good information, you gotta go where the real guys hang out.
And while I would love to have one of the really nice heavy duty smokers, Like the Smokin It line, I don't think I should put that on our household since I'm basically the only smoked meat fan in the Family and extended Family.
I do mostly cold smoking/low temperature anyway. That's not to say I wouldn't do a full blown 3-2-1 rib rack cook. Because I never had the option to.
But I'm retired, so no more overtime for extra projects for special wants here.
And wah, wah, wah...

I'm looking real hard at a Char-Broiler DES smoker. I can get this 725 for about 33% off the suggested retail price, or $201.10, from Walmart. FREE shipping. Lots of other places at this price point.
What I thought was a point with the DES is the chip/pellet box. Holds up to 8 hours of fuel. (I'm skeptical about a box full of anything lasting 8 hours. I could see it taking off and blasting heat and smoke in a big whooska.) And I'd like to use pellets as my primary fuel, I think. Rather than chips, and because I ain't gettin any younger and can't/don't wanna go cut wood.

But the idea is to get something that can do it all. Cold/cool smoking, hot smoking/cooking, or smokeless electric outdoor oven for my folks that don't like smoke flavor. And do it without babysitting a chip box.
In order to get what I think I want, I'm looking at electric for about a dozen reasons. Including a 30" Masterbuilt with a cold smoke add on. But don't see a meat probe option, like the Char-broil has.

Almost all are Imports, so that is a wash. Good luck with Chinese electronics. I'm not going there... But it can make warranty a factor.

What ever happened to the 5 cent cigar?

SonnyE - Was looking forward to welcoming you to the family of Smokin-it users. Pretty much fool proof (and this old fool appreciates that). They really are great smokers, a lot of bang for the buck. Several owners use the A-Maze-N in them to cold smoke. In any event, enjoy your new smoker.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
SonnyE - Was looking forward to welcoming you to the family of Smokin-it users. Pretty much fool proof (and this old fool appreciates that). They really are great smokers, a lot of bang for the buck. Several owners use the A-Maze-N in them to cold smoke. In any event, enjoy your new smoker.

It would be Ideal. There's drool all over their website, and I'm the culprit.
But the SI-1 $339 anti is a little too much for me. But it seems to be the beginning for a real quality smoker.
I haven'y found any stainless steel racks below the Smoken It line. Let alone a Stainless steel box.

With my luck, Sarge, I'll win the lottery the day before I die... :eek:
:D LOL!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky