Smokin in the Desert

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke it

Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Gilbert, Arizona
Thrilled to be a new member of SMF. I grew up in Texas and fell in loved with smoked meats at a young age. I finally got around to purchasing my own smoker (Weber Smokey Mountain) and I'm enjoying the learning process. I live outside of Phoenix, AZ so this is the best time of year to smoke, not sure what it will be like this summer. My favorite smoked meats include: brisket, turkey, ribs, sausage, and ham. Looking forward to learning from all the experts on forum. 

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it! The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

At least living in AZ you won't need a heat source come summer...just add smoke!

Again, Welcome...this forum is filled with oodles of knowledge and extremely knowledgeable peeps and probably the best part is they all want to give this information...for free!!! Stuff that some of these guys/gals took years to master (if you ever master?) they happily give up with a few typed sentences!

~Brett

Last edited:
welcome1.gif
to SMF!  So glad you have joined us!  This place rocks!

If you need any help roaming around these parts...just shout!  I will be happy to help out!

Kat

Hello from Chandler!
I'm just getting started, too. This forum is the best! Some great info on here. I'm learning new stuff everyday. Welcome!

Thrilled to be a new member of SMF. I grew up in Texas and fell in loved with smoked meats at a young age. I finally got around to purchasing my own smoker (Weber Smokey Mountain) and I'm enjoying the learning process. I live outside of Phoenix, AZ so this is the best time of year to smoke, not sure what it will be like this summer. My favorite smoked meats include: brisket, turkey, ribs, sausage, and ham. Looking forward to learning from all the experts on forum. 
What does "outside Phoenix" mean?  I live in Peoria and also love to smoke.  This is a good site to learn smoking.

welcome1.gif

welcome1.gif

I live in Gilbert (Lindsay and the 60). I've got a lot to learn. I've figured out how to do some fairly tasty ribs, sausage, and turkey but failed miserably at brisket tonight for the second time. The good news is that with the weather we've been having lately I don't mind trying every weekend:)

@Deanoaz & AZbullfrog: how doe the extreme summer heat impact your summer smokes? Is it difficult to keep the temperature down?

I live in Gilbert (Lindsay and the 60). I've got a lot to learn. I've figured out how to do some fairly tasty ribs, sausage, and turkey but failed miserably at brisket tonight for the second time. The good news is that with the weather we've been having lately I don't mind trying every weekend:)

@Deanoaz & AZbullfrog: how doe the extreme summer heat impact your summer smokes? Is it difficult to keep the temperature down?
If you try and cold smoke in the summer, you won't get the low temps you really need.  I have found it really helps to have a shady spot for your smoker; I have a screen I put up to shade my smoker from the sun, but the temps still are high.  Low and slow gets jacked up a tad around here.

Howdy from Tucson, glad you stumbled upon us. Cold smoking is a little bit more tricky here in AZ. but as far as low and slow just find some shade for the smoker and will require a bit less fuel at times. My UDS out in the late June sun reads 125* without any fuel,and Always has a nice smell to it. As far as the question of what does outside Phoenix mean-I have lived up there and Always have lived Outside Phoenix-who wants to live in mini LA? Happy to have you here and there's tons of info to help ya,and a few good folks too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky