Smoked Steelhead Trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
merto detroit, michigan
Thawed a pack of steelhead from this summer. Dry brine over night and after a rinse ,and 2 hrs drying it's SMOKER TIME. More pic when it's done
20180804_124256.jpg
20180804_140056.jpg
20181117_212422.jpg
20181117_212441.jpg
20181118_091514.jpg

UPDATE.. . was not happy with the results..... Not sure if it was the dry brine, or cooked too long, but the top was real "chewy". Flavor was good but not happy with texture. ... Smoked it 170 about 7 hrs... Next time a little hotter and quicker ?

UPDATE.. . was not happy with the results..... Not sure if it was the dry brine, or cooked too long, but the top was real "chewy". Flavor was good but not happy with texture. ... Smoked it 170 about 7 hrs... Next time a little hotter and quicker ?

Maybe cooked at a lower temp. I start low with salmon, 100 degrees and work up from there and not going over 145 degree. Pull when the meat hits 145

What was the IT you were shooting for? I did steelhead last weekend and smoked at 160* and it only took about 2 hours to hit the finished IT of 145*...so if you smoked at 170* for 7 hours, you may have overcooked it, too high temp for too long...just a thought.

They look great from the pics.

Point for sure.
Chris

Below is my Smoked Salmon that everybody loves:
If you'd like, You could do everything else the way you did on yours, but try the Smoking Schedule I used.
Smoked Salmon

Bear

Thx for the replies.... When I took it out of the dry brine it seemed kinda "leathery".....
I think it was just a case of over smoking it..... Ohhhhh well.. . Into the blender with some cream cheese lol....bad smoked meat becomes chili..... Bad smoked fish becomes dip .

Reactions: Rathog23
Way to think positive! I just threw some steelhead into my Smokin-It #3D at 170*...shooting for 145* IT (hopefully it will only be a couple hours). I put my AMNTP with alder/cherry mix in there - hopefully it stays lit this time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky