Smoked Duck and Cauliflower Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I have been making this soup for the past 18 years every year in October. I save plucked ducks for this recipe specifically. The original recipe does not call for smoked ducks, but I prefer it much better with the smoked meat. It's a Paul Prudhomme recipe. Even if you don't like cauliflower-this recipe is awesome! The cauliflower when smothered down to nothing smooths out and the bite is gone. It compliments the duck beautifully.

Puddle Ducks rinsed, patted dry, coat of fig syrup to help suck up the smoke for the stock...
DSC02396.JPG

Onda smoker for @180* for 2 hours, just long enough to get a little smoke on them, then in the stock pot for 6 hours to fall apart...
DSC02397.JPG

I always throw a yard bird or two on the smoker after I pull the ducks off since I have the smoker out and fired up, might as well use the smoke right??? I Crank the heat up to 275~300* and chickens are done in about 3 hours.
DSC02400.JPG

The soup is a 2 day process, so the chickens are for supper. Might take one and make a gumbo this week since it's getting cold now with lows in the 40's.

When the duck stock is finished, I'll pull the birds, let them cool, then pick the meat while I concentrate the duck stock down for the soup. More pics tomorrow....

Reactions: foamheart
Why plucked ducks? Well, it's really not the same without it. You need all those bones (neck too, look in the cavity and you will see the necks) to make the rich stock which is the base for the soup. When I make duck gumbo-I use whole plucked ducks as well.

Alright, let's get this soup going.

8 sticks of butter inda pot
:
DSC02401.JPG

Along with the cauliflower, celery, onions and garlic to stew down and brown enough just to get a little color on the cauliflower...

DSC02403.JPG

Stir it every now and then and let it stew.

I am needed to help move my Aunt's mother into a new room at an assisted living center @4:30pm so I will turn the fire off and let the veggies get soft. I'll finish up when I return.

Cooking resumes...

stewing the veggies.
DSC02406.JPG

The recipe calls for ~25 minutes to stew down the veggies, but I find when cooking a big 4x batch it usually takes up to an hour to boil the water off before you can braise the veggies to get a little color on them.

The stock pulled out of the ice chest. I put it on the stove to warm to temp. for inclusion into the soup.

DSC02404.JPG

Ended up with about 5# of duck meat off the birds. chopped and ready to add at the finish.
DSC02405.JPG

Hate to ask this but my waterfowl hunts have been a bust last few years. Has anybody used store bought ducks

OK, veggies have some color on them (I like to add the bell pepper at the end so it won't get bitter) Time to pull out the immersion blender and mash the veggies to smooth it out. Not all the way, I like to leave some chunks for texture.

Before
DSC02407.JPG

After
DSC02408.JPG

Add 4 cups of flour to tighten it up...
DSC02409.JPG

Whisk it in good, then slowly add the warm stock to the soup base.
DSC02410.JPG

Now to let it all come together.

DSC02411.JPG

Add 4 pints of heavy whipping cream...
DSC02412.JPG

And 1/4 cup of Brandy (or a little more to taste)...
DSC02413.JPG

Stir it good, and bring to a boil slowly. I can't stress that enough...slowly so the flour and cream don't burn. Then reduce heat to simmer for ~30 minutes...

DSC02414.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky