Smoked Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troy fuller

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Austin, Texas
I finally scccessfullty smoked some beef ribs.  I had never been successful in the past, but now things are different.  I usually smoke pork ribs, but really like beef so I set out to try beef ribs again.  The first chore was finding some ribs that had some meat on them.  I eventually ended up at Whole Foods (probably paid waaaayyyy too much, but that is the way it goes sometimes.  I used a modified 3-2-1 technique and they came out great!

Here is some qview of the progress:

Decided to completely trim one slab and leave the other exactly like it was purchased.

Used all the trimmed fat to "baste" the meat while cooking by placing on another rack with somr Rosemary.

After 2:45-3:00 in the smoke, the fat on top is completely rendered . . .

Ready to Foil

About 1:30 in the foil and these bad boys are in the home streach

45 minutes after foil is removed and volia . . . resting for about 15 minutes

After slicing, I am happy with the result!  The bones on the right are the ones with the fat cap left on, the ones on the left are the fully trimmed . . . I like the fully trimmed version and the fat baste seemed to work well.

Find some local butcher shop, I found one here In Austin, TX. that it's wholesale and to the public. I got three beef slabs like your for 30 bucks.

Last edited:
Nice Ribs...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky