Smoked Baby Back Ribs (tough outer layer)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hairydog53

Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Camp Chef S/G Pellet Smoker - smoked some baby back ribs at 220F using the 3-2-1 method (used apple juice) - the ribs were good , but the outer layer was tough. Is there something I can do to keep the outside of the ribs from being tough? It's like they dried out. I sprayed with apple juice every 30 minutes during the first 3 hours. My smoker seem to be maintaining the 220F and I believe the temperature is accurate.

Any suggestions? I'm still getting use to this new pellet Grill/Smoker.

Thanks,
Hairy Dog

I do mine on a pellet pooper same method as Jake, an hour less on the BB relative to spares. Not sure exactly what you mean by tough exterior, but possible your bark is getting tough and chewy due to all the sugar in The apple juice burning. Spraying Every 30 with a sugar heavy apple juice will do that. Try not spritzing or using apple cider vinegar or something with less sugar. One time on a shoulder my son was helping me and he sprayed the hell out of it with apple juice too often. Same result. Good luck

I do 2-2-1 on babybacks and 3-2-1 on spares. Even with using those methods I adjust based on feel and appearance. Maybe you over cooked them a bit
Thanks for the advice TNJAKE. I think you may be right about them being over cooked

I do mine on a pellet pooper same method as Jake, an hour less on the BB relative to spares. Not sure exactly what you mean by tough exterior, but possible your bark is getting tough and chewy due to all the sugar in The apple juice burning. Spraying Every 30 with a sugar heavy apple juice will do that. Try not spritzing or using apple cider vinegar or something with less sugar. One time on a shoulder my son was helping me and he sprayed the hell out of it with apple juice too often. Same result. Good luck
Thanks BB-que. Too much apple juice may have contributed to the tough out layer. I appreciate the advice. I'm still learning to use this smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky