Smoke fresh sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Casilw

Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
I was wondering if it’s ok to smoke fresh sausages at 100 - 120 degrees until they have a nice red color, store them whether it’s in the fridge or freezer, then cook them to 155 at a later date.
I’m trying to avoid using insta cure in my sausages.

I was wondering if it’s ok to smoke fresh sausages at 100 - 120 degrees until they have a nice red color, store them whether it’s in the fridge or freezer, then cook them to 155 at a later date.
Can I ask what the reason of not using cure is?

No particular reason other than I learned from my dad how to salt and smoke meat and he learned from his dad and so on. Back in Europe, the village didn’t have access to refrigerators or Insta cure, they just had the winter season and salt. When he imigrated to the US, he continued using the traditional way to smoke prosciutto bacon coppa sausages etc for our own personal use. We have never had any issues doing it this way.
With the situation today, I’m looking for ways to keep busy and thought of selling sausages. But I want to make sure I do it safely.
One recipe I use is make the fresh pork sausage, smoke it for 2 hrs around 100-150 depending on the day, store it in the fridge short term or the freezer and finish it off on the grill at a later date. Popular with friends and family.
They always taste better than the ones that didn’t get any smoke or heat.
I’m wondering if there is any bacteria if it would be killed when they are grilled.
In writing this, I’m thinking maybe a little insta cure #1 won’t hurt...

Hmmmm
I dont get it.

In writing this, I’m thinking maybe a little insta cure #1 won’t hurt...

If you want to put a couple hours of smoke on Uncured Sausage and want to keep it raw, the ONLY Safe option is to do it in a smoker at 40°F or less. You said in the Old Country they produced the Smoked or Dried products in the Winter. They could make Cold Smoke, <40°F, then Dry it or pack in the Ice House or electric Freezer and not need to add Cure. You ABSOLUTELY Do Not want to smoke Uncured, Raw Sausage to be Sold!

Reactions: chopsaw

NO !!!!! Once you start heating meat, bacteria starts to grow... Then it continues to grow while cooling down... THEN, it starts to grow again during the second reheat cook... No telling how high the bacteria count is now....
Insta cure does not inhibit the growth of all bacteria.... It's primary use is to control botulism.....

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Insta cure does not inhibit the growth of all bacteria.... It's primary use is to control botulism.....

This is a good point! While Botulism is the main concern because it's deadly, Cure #1 is also effective with Listeria and Salmonella. But, as Dave points out, there are many more Pathogens that Cure #1 has No Effect at controlling. Staph Aureus is one example. Active Bacteria are killed when you cook the sausage but the Toxin they produce during reproduction is Heat Stable. Once it's in the sausage, it will make you sick regardless of how you handle the sausage later.

As far as How Dad and Grandpa did it...The Old Ways came with Risk. One big difference? 50, a 100 Years ago, people worked in the Dirt and were exposed to a whole variety of relatively innocuous bacteria. Their bodies made powerful Antibodies to battle any infection. Fast forward 100 Years and we have people that practically Bath in Purell! There has been extensive use of Antibacterial, Soaps, Cleaner and Sprays, for the last couple of generations, prescription Antibiotics were given for every Cough or Sniffle folks had. For the most part Kids don't play outside in the Dirt and Creeks, Adults don't work on the Farm with Cattle Feces and in the Dirt planting Fields or even Gardening. These days, Adults work in Air Conditioned buildings with Hepa Filtered Air and at Disinfected Desks. The result? We have Super Bugs that are resistant, if not unaffected by Antibiotics. Our Immune Systems are weak from avoiding Bacteria that would cause out bodies to build Antibodies and a Resistance to bacteria. And many more people have Autoimmune Diseases or are Immune Compromised.
When it comes to Curing Meat the Old Way...That which would give your Grandpa or Dad a little Gas, can now make you so deathly ill as to require Hospitalization or even KILL your Neighbor!
The Risk is Your's to assume. Use Cure #1 and Cool Smoke 130 to 170°F, to a Safe IT of 145°+. Or Cold Smoke at <40°F for how ever long and Freeze. Get yourself the proper Permits and VERY GOOD INSURANCE if you plan to sell ANY Sausage you make...JJ

That’s a good point.
Thanks for all the feedback.
I will stick with the fresh sausages for now.
I’ll experiment with the cure #1 in these sausages and see how they look and taste.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky