Smoke Boston Butt a few hours, finish a couple days later?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Richmond_Rukus

Original poster
May 11, 2018
I've always just smoked Butt's until ready. I'm going to the beach where there is no smoker and the family wants Pork for dinner one night. I don't have 12 hours until I leave. Has anyone ever smoked a Butt for 4-5 hours, wrapped and put on Ice/refrigerator, then finished it in the oven a couple days later? I know I will lose the bark. I want to get the smoke flavor into it, but want to make sure it won't dry out finishing it wrapped in the oven a couple days later. I assume this will take close to 8 hours to finish it at around 225-250.

If anyone has ever tried this before, please let me know how it turned out.

If you have 5-6 hrs, cook it completely hot and fast. Plenty to recipes on here for 275-325 degrees. It will be easy to pull, then vac-seal if possible for warm up at the beach. Add a finishing sauce and you will be golden. Enjoy your trip.

Don't do it, did that once, ran late past 10PM and was tired after 10-12 hours, so I shelved it in the fridge until the next day. with it cold again, took another 10-12 hours to get it back up to temp and finish. (low and slow). A good 6 hour smoke should be enough to get smoke flavor, wrap and take with and finish in the oven at the beach.

The butt must be cooked to at least 145 degrees internal temp before you refrigerate it. That would be another few hours at the beach. I would fully cook it & just reheat it at the beach. PP reheats really easily. Use a finishing sauce on it after reheating it. This is the one that a lot of us use & Chef Jimmy J has some good ones too.
SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it dissolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

Good luck!
Al

That looks awfully close to a Lexington style table/finishing sauce that I make. I don't use it but I make it. Try running it through a straner before bottling it then the hole won't need to be enlarged. All of the good stuff is cooked into the liquid by then anyway.

I see no point in running it thru a strainer, I like the red pepper flakes mixed in the PP. This recipe has been around for years & used by thousands of members. I wouldn't change a thing!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky