Small Batch Sourdough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Just the 2 of us so a small batch is good.

250 g Bread Flour
175 g Water
50 g Sourdough Starter (Fed and Bubbly)
5 g Salt (increase or decrease according to your taste) I went with 7g

This was started yesterday morning.

Just around 9 hours in bulk ferment and ready to fold and shape.
IMG_3996.jpg

Fold and pull into a boule.
Now into a small bowl lined with a cloth and rubbed with rice flour.
IMG_3999.jpg

This morning after an overnight cold ferment.
IMG_4001.jpg

Lite score.
Now into the dutch covered and bake at 450* for 30 mins.
After the 30 mins, remove dutch top and bake at 410* for 10-15 mins.
I use a silicone bread sling for placing in the hot DO.
IMG_4002.jpg

Now we cool it.
I'm going with a 6 hour cool down (got honey do's to take care of)
IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.JPG

Nice job! Sourdough bread is sooooo goooood.

I don't make it often, but when I do, it is a 4 or 5 day event.
Sourdough cookies, bread, pancakes...
Then freeze it. Well, not all of it. Haha

Thanks Y'all

I finally got the small batch SD boule sliced.
I use a German made Chefs Choice slicer with the straight blade.
Been really busy.

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

Reactions: 02ebz06
Looks wonderful, what size dutch oven do you use?
I use a few different ones.

IMG_4025.JPG

The red Lodge (left) is what I use in my kettle.
The blue Saveur was kinda expensive so I only use in the oven.
IMG_4026.JPG

The enamelware works good as they get hot fast. I use these for cold bakes, bread in cold and right to the oven.
IMG_4027.JPG

Nice looking loaf, love the big air pockets to catch all that butter.
I still have Sonny's sweet bread starter going. Need to feed it soon but it just never seems to die. Sometimes it takes a few feedings and sometimes it takes right off. Been on a rye bread kick lately so not much baking bread for me.

Nice looking loaf, love the big air pockets to catch all that butter.
I still have Sonny's sweet bread starter going. Need to feed it soon but it just never seems to die. Sometimes it takes a few feedings and sometimes it takes right off. Been on a rye bread kick lately so not much baking bread for me.
Sonny from the Bradley smoker forum?

Reactions: KBFlyer
Yes Sir
I still have batches in my fridge and freeze dried in my freezer. Sent some up to Alaska a few years ago.

I met Sonny often, spent nights at his house in Texas. Way too much drinking and eating. One time me, sonny and 5 other Bradley guys were at a motel way out in Iowa for a bbq and having too much fun at night. They called the police on us for being loud...lol

Sadly Sonny passed away just before Christmas 2022

I met Sonny often, spent nights at his house in Texas. Way too much drinking and eating. One time me, sonny and 5 other Bradley guys were at a motel way out in Iowa for a bbq and having too much fun at night. They called the police on us for being loud...lol

Sadly Sonny passed away just before Christmas 2022
Yup I knew he passed. Great guy for sure. Not sure of his real name but have you heard from ten point from the bradley forum? Always like him also

Yup I knew he passed. Great guy for sure. Not sure of his real name but have you heard from ten point from the bradley forum? Always like him also
Yeah I talk to Chris 10.5 and Larry lives four 2.5 hrs away, we talk often.

Thanks for the recipe, That saves me the trouble of reducing a larger batch to make a single loaf. I would be only guessing whether to divide it by 3 or 4 or whatever.
Now question time. 50G starter.. curious, did you pull 16 grams and add 16 grams water and 16 grams flour to feed/wake it up to arrive at the 50 Gram measure ?
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm just starting to read up on this to get familiar before I jump in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky